Plane line / not overswing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Lets take these two animals for a ride.

Which plane is the best to practice, and what is the best way to practice it to know its right?

You have all have all your ducks lined up at address. Great posture and your alignments are on the money. You make the swing only you over swing and the ball is blocked or pulled. How would you train to not overswing?

Is the bottom line, that the pros are just blessed on this end and the rest just will never be able to be consistent?

Could you please define what a overswing is? But lets assume you are doing whatever it is your hands should be educated to know where it is at all times. If you then can put your hands in a position what you consider to be at the top of the hands and feel that position with training with a mirror etc. you should ingrain that feel. If I said bring you hand to about one inch over your right shoulder I bet you can do this without looking. There are devices like the right swing angle which limits the amount of right elbow fold which can be set to restrict your backswing if you are bending your right lebow too much to create the overswing. Thats a few suggestions.

The plane question is much more difficult. Thats something for brian to handle.

Dave

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
lmisner1040 said:

Which plane is the best to practice, and what is the best way to practice it to know its right?

You have all have all your ducks lined up at address. Great posture and your alignments are on the money. You make the swing only you over swing and the ball is blocked or pulled. How would you train to not overswing?

Is the bottom line, that the pros are just blessed on this end and the rest just will never be able to be consistent?

The reason why pro's and great ballstrikers look so "smooth" whether their tempo is fast (nick price) or slow (ernie els) is because they don't over-accelerate.

The best plane to practice is one where you draw a straight plane line WITH an on plane right shoulder. It is possible to draw a straight plane line with an off plane right shoulder and you will hit the ball straight but not without as much power. I know from experience ;)

cdog

New
Learning to NOT over swing must be trained.
Learn to control your body by practicing with control, start with your nine iron and hit balls to 100 yds getting the ball flight you want.
When you can do it with the 9, go to the 8, drill the same thing, then 7, 6, 5...etc.

You can change the distance to 50 yds, or 40, what ever, the goal is to learn to control your body, relax, hit to the desired distance (using a full swing motion).

Don't change the club until you can get the desired ball flight you want and go for a goal like 9 out of 10 balls.

jim_0068 said:
The reason why pro's and great ballstrikers look so "smooth" whether their tempo is fast (nick price) or slow (ernie els) is because they don't over-accelerate.

The best plane to practice is one where you draw a straight plane line WITH an on plane right shoulder. It is possible to draw a straight plane line with an off plane right shoulder and you will hit the ball straight but not without as much power. I know from experience ;)

Draw a straight line an on plane right shoulder? Hmm for those here that don't know what is a correct shoulder plane, how do you do this. Lasers?

Should one be thinking more about the shoulders than the hands and arms in the golf swing?

Last edited:

Erik_K

New
well you can trace a straight plane line with lasers, but you might need a mirror or video so see what plane you are on.

Ideally, you want to swing up to the top and then down on the turned shoulder plane. This isn't gospel, mind you. Lots of good players perform what is known as a plane shift.

Say you using flashlights and tracing a plane line against a baseboard or grout line in your house. Technically, an infinite number of planes pass through the line on the ground.

The issue of overswinging is important. But I think the answer lies in swining in BALANCE. I like to swing as hard as I can, but be sure to stay balanced. As smooth and 'slow' as Ernie swings it, his swing speed isn't all that different from Tiger Woods.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Drills....drills.....drills....

Best Plane line drill:

Follow the yellow brick road.

How not to overswing:

Have a flat left wrist, some extensor action and NO DAMN REVERSE PIVOT and you'll be fine.

Erik_K

New
Brian Manzella said:
Best Plane line drill:

Follow the yellow brick road.

How not to overswing:

Have a flat left wrist, some extensor action and NO DAMN REVERSE PIVOT and you'll be fine.

Brian,

can you discuss the Yellow Brick Road? Or maybe that is best done with a video response?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The yellow brick road.....

I will post a video.

But I have done it to so many, maybe they could explain it from the student's perspective, in the meantime.

cdog said:
Learning to NOT over swing must be trained.
Learn to control your body by practicing with control, start with your nine iron and hit balls to 100 yds getting the ball flight you want.
When you can do it with the 9, go to the 8, drill the same thing, then 7, 6, 5...etc.

You can change the distance to 50 yds, or 40, what ever, the goal is to learn to control your body, relax, hit to the desired distance (using a full swing motion).

Don't change the club until you can get the desired ball flight you want and go for a goal like 9 out of 10 balls.

I absolutely loathe advice such as this. Control is control at high speed or low. I agree with you that acceleration must be trained and timed correctly, but not by this method IMO. I find that most people swing too slow with anemic tempo.

CW

overswinging

lmisner1040 said:

I'm assuming that you're just not theorizing- that you overswing. Any chance we could see a video of your swing?

bts

New
lmisner1040 said:
Turn shoulder plane.

Stand upright and raise the arms and club in-line to the front and perpendicular to the upper body and horizontal to the ground. Turn your shoulders around the spine back and forth and keep and allow the arms and club perpendicular to the upper body and across a plane horizontal to the ground and on-plane with the "turning shoulders".

Depending on where the ball sits (usually lower than the shoulder) and, sometimes, its flight pattern, you adjust the upperbody angle (from the waist) till the ideal impact is permittable and do the same (to "sustain the lag").

How would you train to not overswing?
You train your mind-"swing and don't hack".

overswinging

lmisner1040 said:

Use your pivot well. From a proper loaded backswing and a proper unloading action, those hands will stay on plane and fire at collision correctly.

Status
Not open for further replies.