Players who go low

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a question in light of Calc's birdie record this weekend. Calc, among some other players, is known for going really low, knocking out birdies in bunches, when he gets it going. And there are quite a few guys out there who have shot super low rounds (59-61) who have barely sniffed the big Tour. And it seems to be the same guys who'll just glide along, not doing much, then out of nowhere they drop a crazy low score. But they do it enough that you know it could happen at anytime, and that it isn't a once in a lifetime shot. It also seems like they drop these really low scores more often than the top players.

What are some of the defining characteristics of this type of player, psycologically and game-wise, that enable them to go so low when they get it going?

ggsjpc

New
They keep attacking. I see too many players get content with the work they have done and try to coast in. Those guys say 'I'm hitting it well, putting it well, so let's go get more.'

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Yup they just attack more pins and get really hot with the putter; however when they keep attacking and are "off" sometimes it leads to tricky up/downs that can blow up your score really fast.

I think most golfers would be quite surprised how aggressive most Tour players are, regardless of their length off the tee. Because of their competence, they won't shoot a high score on a regular course. So it often times becomes a game where if they are playing decent at say a solid private course they'll shoot 66-69 range and if they get hot then they really go low. They usually pretty much understand that going into the round as well as understand that if they have a mediocre day, they could very well get hot the very next day.

3JACK

cmow

New
I also think that it is no coincidence that Calc is a fast player. I think it helps that if you are in the groove that you can just let it flow and not think too much.

A lot of times the guys that are not that consistent of players that can go extremely low are good ball strikers that can get agressive with their irons and wedges, but their putting is not world class. Tiger used to shoot 66 with 4 fairways and 12 greens, but he dropped 20 footers like tap-ins, when a good tour ballstriker is hitting it say a little better than average and they turn the putter on and get a couple good breaks, course records start falling.

I really think putting is the difference, I am a +2 and I have had plenty of days where I was in position to shoot 63 or 64 with like 16 or 17 GIRs but if your not dropping putts everywhere that chance at 63 becomes a 69 which your local club champ could probably shoot

Calc also does not mess much with moving the ball. He hits a high cut and controls the distance of his irons. I think this is what is fun to watch, how often he hits it pin high. Others like that are Toms and Furyk. When they putt well, lots of birdies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If I can touch myself a bit......

I do own over a dozen course records and most were in tournaments. Looking back, the putter has to be working combined with impecable green reading, seeing the lines. Mostly, you happen to never be in between clubs. Dont get in your own way and thirst to go lower once you get low. At the end of the day, its those who arent out of there comfort zone going low who are capable of doint it.

For my last two tournaments, again Senior League middle tees, I have played with the scratch guy who wins Low Gross 80% of the time. We were playing a very nice older club with narrow tree lined fairways. He shot 1 under par. Now this is not 63, but on the Front nine he had 11 putts. He uses a long putter and is deadly. However, his real secret is that he splits the fairway probably 80% of the time at around 250 - 260. Then he knows and can hit his yardages very accurately through his fairway woods. He hits a slight fade with all of his irons (very old Ping Eye 2's) and gives himself a lot of makeable putts. When he misses a green he gets it up and down a very high percentage of the time. He is aggressive throughout a round.

This guy will be 69 years old in a couple of months!

Status
Not open for further replies.