Playing all 3/4 shots

Status
Not open for further replies.

ZAP

New
Let me preface by saying my 3/4 swing is right about a full swing on video since my backswing tends to get past there. In trying to "clean up" my backswing I have noticed I am getting pretty comfortable playing what feel like 3/4 shots but on video look like full swings.

I am thinking about just playing this way for a while to see if it helps me. Anyone else try anything like this? Does it sound like a decent idea?

Let me preface by saying my 3/4 swing is right about a full swing on video since my backswing tends to get past there. In trying to "clean up" my backswing I have noticed I am getting pretty comfortable playing what feel like 3/4 shots but on video look like full swings.

I am thinking about just playing this way for a while to see if it helps me. Anyone else try anything like this? Does it sound like a decent idea?

It sounds like a great idea to me. I really want to start doing this myself, as what feels like a 3/4 swing to me also looks like a full hack on video. When practicing I always start out well, but I find it hard to resist the urge to try to "smash ball." When hitting wedges and short irons it seems to work pretty well for me, but once I move up to long irons and driver the primal man in me wants to hit that ball like it owes me money. I know if I just took it easy the whole time I would play better, but once I start getting a little tired in practice or on the course I just start trying to rip every shot. Then I get frustrated at my lack of self control.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I play just about every swing to what feels to me like 3/4 but is similar a bit longer; this always leaves me with some extra distance in all my clubs and lets me play with a bit more precision.

ZAP

New
Thanks for the replies. During my lesson with Kevin we talked about expanding my iron game and what I noticed was my 3/4 shots actually went just as far as my full shots and were more accurate. Now all I need is an actual 3/4 shot. lol

I've always liked this idea. You often get a lower flight with a bit more rollout which can be nice depending on weather and the pin position. At times this has worked quite well. Then I eventually get a little long or jacked up and fly a 9 iron 15 yards over the back of a green.

There's nothing like a well struck fairway shot to OB to put me on tilt... so I keep this 3/4 shot as an alternative instead of stock.

I know Hogan always said he had an extra # of yards he could hit with each club. Maybe it becomes natural after a period of time, but I think it requires alot of discipline to play this way. I find myself always thinking of dialing it back in fear of a long ball.

Anybody know how common this practice is?

If you think about it, the word 3/4 is described in the intitial post as "Full on Video". So, to me, this is the old feel versus real thing.

You ask your buddy to tell you whether you went past parallel. Next you make what feels like a 1/2 to 3/4 swing and ask again. The observer announces, "Parallel". No way is your feeling, but it is true. Maddening game.

Hmm, I have a bit more power to put in my swing even though I take a full swing. I normally hit my PW around some 135-140 yards, but I can crush it 160 yards, that shot is a bit too unreliable to use anywhere else but the range, but I can usually get at least an extra ten yards with my irons if I try, but the risk is that it goes those extra ten yards in the wrong direction :p

I also sometimes use the 3/4 swing, it's a bit more really, but it is usually very nice when you just want to hit a club a few yards shorter.

Status
Not open for further replies.