Please feel free to help

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yes, yes, yes!

Just because your misses are left doesn't mean you aren't a slicer. I can hit hooks all day long with a swing that needs an NSA fix.

There are a very few folks out there who are hitting hooks without flipping it. For those folks, NHA is a wonderful resource. But there are a lot of mid and even low handicap players who can't hit the ball with a flat left wrist to save their life. And, once they do, they'll hit it right.

I say this as someone who once played off of 2 (wouldn't have held up in competition!) while timing the flip on every shot. I also say it as someone who has been using the SD pattern for a while, but I'm fairly certain that a bit more of an NSA setup and backswing (but without twistaway) is much better for me. I need to be focusing on a FLW and a bit of wedding ring up in order to control the clubface properly. If I get to the top of a the SD backswing with an SD grip, I just want to come down steep and flip it all day. If I get to the top of a NSA backswing with an NSA grip, then I need to come at the ball from the inside, with a proper swivel and a FLW....

Sorry, this post just spurred me....

Don't be sorry....Thats a damn good observation. You just described my golf game, and I'm trying to fix it with NSA setup minus the severe twistaway...I think you nailed it on the head with most people and the hook/flip also.

Seems like there are a few topics going on here. I thank all of those who are putting their input into my swing. For me, my swing is really simple, turn and shift weight in backswing, and then just rotate on the downswing. Usually contact is good, but my misses are thin and fat, as anybody would guess looking at the video.

It's aggravating when people tell me that I just need to shift my weight my bumping my left hip. I'm not sure whether I'm physically incapable of doing it or if my back swing has something in it that is preventing me from doing it. The bottom line is that I cannot consciously bump my left hip. I have have taken video of me trying to do it, and trust me, its comical.

Any other ideas why my weight isn't shifting?

It's not shifting on the downswing because it never shifted on the backswing.

You stay centered and make a massive hip turn going back. All you can do on the downswing is spin your hips counter-clockwise and fall back on your right foot.

Another observation: You straighten your right leg on the backswing. In and of itself that's not bad except you don't put any weight on the right leg.

So unless you have a Stack and Tilt downswing, all you can do is spin out and fall back coming down.

That is impressive athletic ability in that swing! I don’t think your first move from the top is actually with your upper body at all. I think you fire your left hip in an immediate circle first – homage to the ‘in the barrel concept’. As a contrast imagine your hips at the top of your backswing not turned but in a straight line (45 degrees right of your target line); as your first move down slide your hips along that line while holding your shoulder turn. For you I think that gets you left, with your arms in the slot. I bet your obvious skills and athletic ability make sense of things from there.:)

And i think one of Brian two most recent videos (the PGA one?) shows that first move with the hips towards the target you are describing. I try to think of it as moving my hips back to touch the target side of "the barrel" before rotating.

I am constantly tinkering with COFF and NSA techniques in order to try improve my draw.

Last edited:
Any other ideas why my weight isn't shifting?

I did noted you mentioned difficulty to hip shift and made a suggestion (albeit indirectly) : Your weight is stuck on your right foot when you perform the down swing pivot.

Try posing with left hip over left foot, hands opposite right thigh and cocked so that shaft is parallel to ground. Hips and shoulder open with axis tilt. Refer to Brian's free Youtube video episode #4 for what it looks like. If you can pose then it is not a physical issue.

Try chipping and pitching from this position and gradually progress to full swing. Do the drill slow...slowly. Delay the fast turning of the hip until you have shifted left otherwise it is going to be tough to move the weight off the right foot.

I hesitant to made specific suggestions before because you are an accomplished player. But that is my two cents worth. Good luck.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Interesting Project.

Why can't I shift?

Here it what I would do with you:

You shift your UPPER BODY to the right on the backswing, but NOT your lower body.

I would reverse that.

You need to STEP ON YOUR RIGHT FOOT early in the backswing, while you feel as though your head hardly moves to the right at all.

The feeling that you are looking for is: "Getting OFF your left foot."

On the downswing, you need to RETAIN YOUR BACKSWING hip turn into the downswing as you start to shift left.

I just did a video of that for PGA.com...(the downswing part)

fronesis said:
Just because your misses are left doesn't mean you aren't a slicer. I can hit hooks all day long with a swing that needs an NSA fix.

Really?? Without Weding Ring Up...?

Yes, definitely. But these are fairly weak hooks because the ball is going left because of flipping. If you flip at the end you turn the toe over, catch the ball there, and it goes right to left every time.

If I am remembering video of your swing from a long time ago, birdie_man, you have a flat or sometimes even arched wrist, so you probably aren't as familiar with flipping it all the time! ...as I am...:)

Thanks to everybody who continues to respond; especially to Mr. Manzella taking time out of his busy schedule to give his insight. I will post more videos in a day or two to see if we can make any progress. Lets keep this discussion going because I think that a lot of people would be able to benefit from this particular aspect of the swing!

Yes, definitely. But these are fairly weak hooks because the ball is going left because of flipping. If you flip at the end you turn the toe over, catch the ball there, and it goes right to left every time.

If I am remembering video of your swing from a long time ago, birdie_man, you have a flat or sometimes even arched wrist, so you probably aren't as familiar with flipping it all the time! ...as I am...:)

Ya I don't flip anymore. I fixed my left wrist though...it is dead flat now. :) Yayyyyy. :)

Draws (weaker hooks) make more sense. (more "plausible")

Status
Not open for further replies.