Plotting trackman stats in 3D space

Status
Not open for further replies.
Google Image Result for http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/3b/3D_Cartesian_coordinates.PNG

Would there be any merit in plotting a players trackman data in 3D cartesian coordinate form to help visualise a players tendancies and the effect of a change in technique, or to highlight zones within the universe (of all shots) where straaight shots live or where pull shots live etc.

I am imagining that Face angle goes on x axis, HSP goes on z axis and Angle of attack on the y axis...(or something like that)...

Every shot ever hit would have a point within that universe...presumably shots of certain shape pattern will occupy certain zones...but there must be certain zones where hardly any shots are ever hit (barren waste zones of the 3D shot universe) ...

I was impressed by how Brian (by working only on twistaway) caused changes in players Face angle and HSP (and I wonder if it altered Angle of attack)...from a data analysis point of view I would be interested to see how this would look in 3D form - any thoughts...?

I think this is a great idea. You would have empirical data to tell you which shots you were able to hit most consistently. Less guessing when it came to picking a shot/pattern.

wormholes...

a golfers journey from one zone to another could be made through wormhole like shortcuts rather than a linear progression...that is what seems to have occured in the data Brian presented for his "twistaway only" lesson research.

There would be an in the golfing universe where Colin Montgomerie's iron shots live....far away from the "kenny Perry zone"...and the "zero'd out zone" would be 2 zones - 1 for irons, 1 for drivers hit on the upswing...

I guess if you plotted all the shots a player hits in a session it might allow a player/instructor to get a quick view of the strengths and weaknesses (or tendancies) of a player....much quicker than trying to look at large data spreadsheets for trends...

In the book, "Moneyball", some of the new age statisticians took the entire baseball field and made it into a grid. They plotted nearly every ball hit in a MLB season and where the ball landed and the likelihood of it being caught. If they can do that then this should be a breeze.

Thanks for thoughts - this is the kind if thing I was aiming at ...

3d scatter plot for MS Excel (VBA macro)

I imagine pros are very consistent in their data and would have a tight cluster of dots within a useful part of the trackman universe...maybe ingrained hackers might be consistent too...but in a different zone...

How consistent are players results at different levels of ball striking expertise?

The visual representation of complex data may help promote trackman's use IMO.

dbl

New
Bulldog I like the idea and agree that there would be certain preferred zones. Also there would be the bad fringes! Moreover this could be even part of the Manzella Matrix, or an Impact Matrix, .....where being on one of the bad sides/edges of the cube you could be brought over to one of the preferred zones.

Now of course there has to be additional swing knowledge an instructor needs, since there would be lot of reasons/ways a person was hooking, slicing, whatever.

Status
Not open for further replies.