Pocket Pro

Status
Not open for further replies.
It isn't yet commercially available, but by this time next year everyone will have one of these and for far less money.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zVgvigG_HNw[/media]

ej20

New
I wouldn't buy one unless it's proven to be accurate using Trackman to verify.

I'd rather have no data than inaccurate data.It just looks too good to be true.

S

SteveT

YES !!!!!!!!!! .... Pocket Pro will revolutionize golf for the truly neurotic. If you don't know why your shots are always slicing, this will confirm your incompetence.

It's unlikely anybody can make the adjustments to cancel out their errors .. so this gizmo will be like an indictment of your golf game and further destroy you as your frustration grows and you are unable to make corrections.

Since the monitoring device is attached to the shaft at the grip, you should be using very stiff clubs because what you do at the tip must equate to what is happening at your grip. Also a slow swing speed will eliminate tip droop and torque, which cannot be monitored directly. Maybe you will have to enter the type of shaft you are using and your swing speed for the mathematical algorithm to calculate something about the clubhead.

I wonder how many units they will sell to the truly neurotic to salve their insecurity.

Love it. Wish them a ton of success...

Sure, some neurotic folks will get hung up on it, but a lot of guys will learn the path pretty quickly.

will not work. It uses the same technology like the wii remote controller. There are several problems with these type of units
- There is no correct x,y,z position readout, so forget about it displaying your swing correctly
- It can not provide face angle data or swing path data at impact due to the fact that it has no "0" position. It can only provide data about the difference at address and impact. And even then the accuracy of it might be bad.

Because the wii remote has made this kind of technology available at low prices there is a ton of these "machines" to be found on the internet.

Need one for the putting? : ZENIO - The Putting Innovation same machine same problem. By a former salesman from sam puttlab

Want to build one yourself? either buy a wii remote and connect it to your laptop/mobile using bluetooth or buy an ammsensor AmmSensor Software Development Kit which includes all the software.

Want to know more :D Search mems

Last edited:

dbl

New
Strange there it is. Maybe I had a huge DNS error. Or a typo. :(
I tried with and without the s on designs. Oh well. Thanks for clearing that up.

Personally, by the way, I'd have a price point and it ought not be over it or no sale. Probably $199. Maybe $99. It seems like a lot of activity for a particular swing. Maybe one ought to have an assistant to manipulate the iphone and tell you what the result of the face was.

By the way, props to the Gordie who did come out with the iSteak iphone app (which tdh has another youtube video about). $1.99

Last edited:
If it does properly detect the face (which I think it does) then this will give greater feedback than video and potentially trackman. Trackman really only gets a few feet before and after impact. Don't get me wrong, that is invaluable.... but being able to KNOW exactly where it is for someone like me who IS neurotic about their swing, it's going to make my life 10000 times easier.

Ball flight doesn't tell you if the club is toe down or if your face was open. This thing will.

Strange there it is. Maybe I had a huge DNS error. Or a typo. :(
I tried with and without the s on designs. Oh well. Thanks for clearing that up.

Personally, by the way, I'd have a price point and it ought not be over it or no sale. Probably $199. Maybe $99. It seems like a lot of activity for a particular swing. Maybe one ought to have an assistant to manipulate the iphone and tell you what the result of the face was.

By the way, props to the Gordie who did come out with the iSteak iphone app (which tdh has another youtube video about). $1.99

I am assuming a price point in the range you listed, much more than that and I dont think they will get a large enough base of customers.

will not work. It uses the same technology like the wii remote controller. There are several problems with these type of units
- There is no correct x,y,z position readout, so forget about it displaying your swing correctly
- It can not provide face angle data or swing path data at impact due to the fact that it has no "0" position. It can only provide data about the difference at address and impact. And even then the accuracy of it might be bad.

Because the wii remote has made this kind of technology available at low prices there is a ton of these "machines" to be found on the internet.

Need one for the putting? : ZENIO - The Putting Innovation same machine same problem. By a former salesman from sam puttlab

Want to build one yourself? either buy a wii remote and connect it to your laptop/mobile using bluetooth or buy an ammsensor AmmSensor Software Development Kit which includes all the software.

Want to know more :D Search mems

I don't fancy trying to build one myself. But I'm curious in what other products are on the market. Does "ton" mean lots of golf applications - or just that the sensor technology is pretty generic?

Even the video in the original post mentioned competing products that work with a laptop - but I have no idea what these are. Anyone able to enlighten me?

Something tells me that the hardware side of this is actually the easy bit. Coding the software to yield accurate and useful information to the player is going to be no mean feat, I suspect. Hats off to the developers if they can do this. This is no knock on Trackman, but I suspect that the doppler radar that everyone goes on about isn't the really smart part of their technology - I'm sure the value-add is in the SW.

If it does properly detect the face (which I think it does) then this will give greater feedback than video and potentially trackman. Trackman really only gets a few feet before and after impact. Don't get me wrong, that is invaluable.... but being able to KNOW exactly where it is for someone like me who IS neurotic about their swing, it's going to make my life 10000 times easier.

Ball flight doesn't tell you if the club is toe down or if your face was open. This thing will.

euh... No. it will not. How can a machine that you connect to the shaft at hands high measure face angle? It has no clue about where the face is or what it is doing.

Please read for instance the zenio documentation very carefully and then read that even with a very slow putter swing almost nothing can be measured except the difference between address and impact. And that is putting, what about a iron or driver including waggle at high speed?

Or what about this statement from the ammsensor

"Linear Velocity and Linear Position
Linear velocity (m/s) is produced from the integration of the inertial linear acceleration and linear position (m) is produced from the integration of the linear velocity. The initial position of the sensor is considered to be the origin and measurements are given with respect to the global reference frame. These quantities suffere from substantial integration drift; there is a reset function supplied that should be used before every use.
"

There is no magic bullet.

Last edited:
I don't fancy trying to build one myself. But I'm curious in what other products are on the market. Does "ton" mean lots of golf applications - or just that the sensor technology is pretty generic?

euh... I said "a ton of these "machines", and yes some are also used with regards to golf. I also gave the keyword mems why not combine it with golf and start google?

....Something tells me that the hardware side of this is actually the easy bit. Coding the software to yield accurate and useful information to the player is going to be no mean feat, I suspect....

You might talk again with "something" about this :D It's the hardware that is the major issue both for accuracy and data. Coding is easy compared to that, done it myself for a doppler radar launch monitor.

Currently working on a new putting and shaft measuring thing, guess what....it's the hardware that's the most important part :p

Last edited:
FFS Frans - I googled already and got a "ton" of patent specs and research papers. You said there were a ton of machines out there, and I asked about golfing applications on the market. If you can't be arsed to offer constructive help, then please don't go out of your way on my account to suggest using google...

Hardware/software - I'm hardly going to argue the point, given how little I know about either. I just naively thought it might be challenging to write the algorithms to account for different locations of the sensors on the shaft, interpret "impact" as a distinct event, and generally translate a bunch of data into clubhead speed and orientation information, never mind animate it. Challenging, I mean, by comparison to sourcing third party components

What a stupid I am.

Last edited:
FFS Frans - I googled already and got a "ton" of patent specs and research papers. You said there were a ton of machines out there, and I asked about golfing applications on the market. If you can't be arsed to offer constructive help, then please don't go out of your way on my account to suggest using google...

mhhh....yeap blame it on me then that you can't find it ;)

- zenio
- mizuno shaft optimizer
- fitchip
- sensoglove
- medicus power meter
- sonic golf
- iTrainer
- k/vest
- iClub
- Smartswing
- iPhone - Golf swing meter pro or ETGA Swing lesson :D
- Suunto golf watch
- Swing revolution
- Shotwatch

PS What is "FFS"?

Hardware/software - I'm hardly going to argue the point, given how little I know about either. I just naively thought it might be challenging to write the algorithms to account for different locations of the sensors on the shaft, interpret "impact" as a distinct event, and generally translate a bunch of data into clubhead speed and orientation information, never mind animate it. Challenging, I mean, by comparison to sourcing third party components

What a stupid I am.

mhh....just quoting you here..... :D

Last edited:
mhhh....yeap blame it on me then that you can't find it ;)

- zenio
- mizuno shaft optimizer
- fitchip
- sensoglove
- medicus power meter
- sonic golf
- iTrainer
- k/vest
- iClub
- Smartswing
- iPhone - Golf swing meter pro or ETGA Swing lesson :D
- Suunto golf watch
- Swing revolution
- Shotwatch

PS What is "FFS"?

mhh....just quoting you here..... :D

"FFS" is just a little colloquial anglo-saxon. Don't worry about it...

Did I not make it sufficiently clear in my first post that I was interested in products that did something similar to the one that was posted?

Because I started looking at those you listed, and found:

A putting tool.
A shaft fitting tool.
Another club fitting tool.
A grip pressure sensor.
A swing speed meter.
A musical rendition of your swing tempo and rhythm

Frankly, I got a bit bored at this point looking for anything that resembled the functionality of the tool that started this thread. If you're saying that the underlying hardware is similar, I'm happy to take that on trust. But given that none of the products that you helpfully listed and that I looked at dealt with either path or face alignment, my conviction is hardening that the clever stuff is in the programming.

Whether or not they can make it work with worthwhile accuracy is another issue

"FFS" is just a little colloquial anglo-saxon. Don't worry about it...

So i pre-flop raise with a RTFM :D

.....But given that none of the products that you helpfully listed and that I looked at dealt with either path or face alignment.....

Might it be that face angle is not possible like I stated from the beginning?

Try reading the iclub (iClub™, Smarter technology for better golf™) spec sheet if you are looking for path..... and the iclub putting if you're also looking for face angle.....and then read back what I said about the zenio and high speed shot with irons or driver.....

Why do you thinks those tdh guys did not just posted a shot measured at the same time by both their machine and a trackman or p3pro :rolleyes:

Last edited:
So i pre-flop raise with a RTFM :D

Might it be that face angle is not possible like I stated from the beginning?

Try reading the iclub (iClub™, Smarter technology for better golf™) spec sheet if you are looking for path..... and the iclub putting if you're also looking for face angle.....and then read back what I said about the zenio and high speed shot with irons or driver.....

Why do you thinks those tdh guys did not just posted a shot measured at the same time by both their machine and a trackman or p3pro :rolleyes:

RTFM read the f ing manual
I havent heard that in years

Status
Not open for further replies.