Post Impact Plane Shifts, Any Significance? (Pics)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been studying the swing of Anthony Kim, and was browsing the forum where someone mentioned Badds old(ish) swing and I noticed a little thing that Badds does that Anthony doesn't and was wondering the significance of it.

ippgsy.jpg

Here, AK is shifting to the elbow plane.

Which he stays on through impact, as evidenced here:
2v8jubl.jpg

Aaron, on the other hand, is shifting to the elbow plane:
jq1bn6.jpg

But through impact he appears to shift back onto the TSP...
ru5nqa.jpg

This may very well be a stupid question, but I'm still developing a sense for the effects of plane shifts so I'll ask it: Intuition tells me that if a player shifts from elbow plane to TSP through impact, he will swing slightly more to the right and hit more pushes/hooks/draws than the player who stays on one plane through impact (who I'm assuming will draw a straighter plane line). Is this thinking correct or is a plane shift through impact of little relevance?

Thanks,
Jeff

people call it 'exit angle' and its a good barometer of what ball flight you hit. there are great videos of bubba watson and hunter mahan who have totally oposing exit angles. i'll try to post em up

I would appreciate that pecky. Seems pretty commonsensical to me: match your downswing and follow through planes and you'll be drawing a straighter plane line.

i simply believe that that particular video of baddeley, he swings a little too the right, and anthony kim does a better job of swinging left. in the downswing pic of badds, his hips are squarer than kims.

this is a clear sign of swining to the right. he is not getting open enough to trace a perfectly straight plane line.

with reference to exit angles, until i get pics up (i use when the hands are about to come into view from DTL view) hookers have the club bisecting their neck or head. slicers tend to have the club cutting through their lower body. hunter mahan swings more left then anyone on tour, as far as i know, and is almost on the eblow plane on the forward side.

again, really would like to be able to get pics up, and not have to pay to do it :D

Last edited:
i simply believe that that particular video of baddeley, he swings a little too the right, and anthony kim does a better job of swinging left. in the downswing pic of badds, his hips are squarer than kims.

this is a clear sign of swining to the right. he is not getting open enough to trace a perfectly straight plane line.

with reference to exit angles, until i get pics up (i use when the hands are about to come into view from DTL view) hookers have the club bisecting their neck or head. slicers tend to have the club cutting through their lower body. hunter mahan swings more left then anyone on tour, as far as i know, and is almost on the eblow plane on the forward side.

again, really would like to be able to get pics up, and not have to pay to do it :D

Hey Pecky I thought you quit? What gives???? :)

brians offer of a lifetime has changed my mind :) ;)

i decided i can still post and think about golf, just not play for a while

nobody informed and educated by this site, will ever quit... I dont think Brian would let that happen... would he pecky...

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I've been studying the swing of Anthony Kim, and was browsing the forum where someone mentioned Badds old(ish) swing and I noticed a little thing that Badds does that Anthony doesn't and was wondering the significance of it.

ippgsy.jpg

Here, AK is shifting to the elbow plane.

Which he stays on through impact, as evidenced here:
2v8jubl.jpg

Aaron, on the other hand, is shifting to the elbow plane:
jq1bn6.jpg

But through impact he appears to shift back onto the TSP...
ru5nqa.jpg

This may very well be a stupid question, but I'm still developing a sense for the effects of plane shifts so I'll ask it: Intuition tells me that if a player shifts from elbow plane to TSP through impact, he will swing slightly more to the right and hit more pushes/hooks/draws than the player who stays on one plane through impact (who I'm assuming will draw a straighter plane line). Is this thinking correct or is a plane shift through impact of little relevance?

Thanks,
Jeff

AK is approaching the ball lower than Badds. His exit angle is higher than his delivery as well, and so is Badds. Badds is also hitting a shorter iron, requiring him to be less open at impact, affecting the angle he comes out on. We also don't know what kind of shot either guy is playing. So I wouldn't worry about it. Exit angle doesn't matter a lick. There are way too many exceptions and different styles to even remotely consider it an important fundamental.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
It isn't an important fundamental BUT it can tell you what was happening BEFORE impact and a general pre-cursor for ball flight. It isn't absolute but the more up the finish the more the draw and the more low and left the more the fade "usually but not always." ;)

The exiting plane angle is important to the delivery path of the club head..elbow plane back tsp exit the path shifts to the right...high to low the path shifts in...now to the clubface...

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
It isn't an important fundamental BUT it can tell you what was happening BEFORE impact and a general pre-cursor for ball flight. It isn't absolute but the more up the finish the more the draw and the more low and left the more the fade "usually but not always." ;)

That's what i mean. Too many exceptions and ways to release the club that it doesn't tell you anything. You can fade it with a high full roll finish so it's really nothing to ever get wrapped up in is all i'm saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.