Preshot Routine?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here is my putting routine. While I have a routine for the other shots, the putting routine is the least variable.

1. Observe the green as I walk up to it. Look at horizon and try to determine slopes.

2. If possible approach ball from the hole side.

3. Mark ball. I try to wait my turn from a hole side position.

4. My turn. Replace ball.

5. Walk down the line along the way step back and look at the slopes from the side.

6. Look at the putt from behind the hole. Critical to look from both sides.
Pick out the apex point for breaking putts and keep this point in sight
when walking to the ball.

7. Walk back and look at putt from behind the ball.
While walking relax shoulders, putter in right hand holding loosely and occasionally spinning the grip loosely held. Shake left hand to relax muscles.
I want to feel loosey goosey.

8. Take address. Take a relaxing breath. Line up on apex point.

9. Look at line. Picture the speed of the putt. Focus on keeping back of neck still and not looking up . Take a practice stroke. Repeat.

10. Move into address position.

11. Stroke it without delay.

12. Sounds tedious and slow, but it's actually quite fast and deliberate.

13. It's so in-grained that I don't really think about it. However, when I for some reason lose focus and really blow a putt it's often that I left out the walk around behind the hole step and missed the amount or direction of slope.

Here is my putting routine. While I have a routine for the other shots, the putting routine is the least variable.

1. Observe the green as I walk up to it. Look at horizon and try to determine slopes.

2. If possible approach ball from the hole side.

3. Mark ball. I try to wait my turn from a hole side position.

4. My turn. Replace ball.

5. Walk down the line along the way step back and look at the slopes from the side.

6. Look at the putt from behind the hole. Critical to look from both sides.
Pick out the apex point for breaking putts and keep this point in sight
when walking to the ball.

7. Walk back and look at putt from behind the ball.
While walking relax shoulders, putter in right hand holding loosely and occasionally spinning the grip loosely held. Shake left hand to relax muscles.
I want to feel loosey goosey.

8. Take address. Take a relaxing breath. Line up on apex point.

9. Look at line. Picture the speed of the putt. Focus on keeping back of neck still and not looking up . Take a practice stroke. Repeat.

10. Move into address position.

11. Stroke it without delay.

12. Sounds tedious and slow, but it's actually quite fast and deliberate.

13. It's so in-grained that I don't really think about it. However, when I for some reason lose focus and really blow a putt it's often that I left out the walk around behind the hole step and missed the amount or direction of slope.

Good routine. This is something I need to be more consistent with. Any other input?

Try to put the misses out of your mind. I say try, because to me that's the difficult part of a routine. The 2 to 3 footers where you miss one, and then the next one becomes a mental block.

One more comment. Many, even most, people I have played with over the years have a routine. Ask them to lay it out and they can't because they never really thought about it.

The guy that I car pool with to out of town tournaments is a struggling putter. He has over 10 putters in his basement, and has read the books. I asked him this very question about 2 months ago. He had no answer. Watched him yesterday on the practice green. He had the putter in a semi-golf grip, not up the life-line of left hand. I could see the tension in his forearms and hands. He was lined up closed. He tries to work on it, but seemingly can't get it to stick. Think he had 39 putts!

Full Swing

1. 1-2 practice swings beside the ball.

2. Step behind the ball, find a target, and use the 'zorro technique' to find where to aim the clubface.

3. Aim, and fire.

Chip Shots

1. Step behind the ball, find a target, and use the 'zorro technique' to find where to aim the clubface.

2. 2-3 Practice swings beside the ball, with eyes pointing to where I want the ball to land.

3. Aim and fire.

Putter

1. Find the fall line.

2. Get behind the ball and read the putt, see the line.

3. One practice stroke, eyes at the target the entire time.

4. One practice stroke, eyes down at where the ball would be.

5. One practice stroke, eyes at the target the entire time.

6. Aim and fire.

3JACK

i never make a practice swing on a full shot aong side the ball. it feels very mechanical and so uncomfortable. i make 2-3 partswings, feeling whatever particular swing thought i am at that moment. then step up. waggle, in my own unique way which is hard to describe through words, and hit.

chips and pitches, make multiple smaller length swings, aiming at my landing spot, walk in, lots of waggles, then hit.

dont have a putting routine

Yes what's the 'zorro technique' for aiming??? When I hit a bad shot on the course 80% of the time thats where I was aimed. I do better on the range with alignment rods.

Thanks

I am going to guess that the "zorro technique" is similiar to what Justin Rose does.

From behind the ball, hold the club shaft vertically in the air. Place the shaft in line with the target and look for a "spot" two or three feet in front of the ball on the shaft line. This is now your target. Basically you are spot aiming (clubface aimed at target, etc)

I am going to guess that the "zorro technique" is similiar to what Justin Rose does.

From behind the ball, hold the club shaft vertically in the air. Place the shaft in line with the target and look for a "spot" two or three feet in front of the ball on the shaft line. This is now your target. Basically you are spot aiming (clubface aimed at target, etc)

Well then call me Zorro because that's what I do. Not for putting though.

That's correct. I got the name from Dr. Craig Farnsworth 'See It and Sink It' book. I don't use it for putting though, just full shots. I *think* Ben Doyle teaches this for pre-shot routines as well. I've got 20/20 vision in both eyes, but I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I believe that causes me to aim too far to the right of the target. The 'zorro technique' helps eliminate that problem. With putting, I use a head swivel to align the putter face. But you have to do the head swivel correctly.

3JACK

That's correct. I got the name from Dr. Craig Farnsworth 'See It and Sink It' book. I don't use it for putting though, just full shots. I *think* Ben Doyle teaches this for pre-shot routines as well. I've got 20/20 vision in both eyes, but I'm right handed and left eye dominant. I believe that causes me to aim too far to the right of the target. The 'zorro technique' helps eliminate that problem. With putting, I use a head swivel to align the putter face. But you have to do the head swivel correctly.

3JACK

Nah.. just stand in front of your opponents or your playmates. Then point the shaft end of your club and make a 'Z' towards them while waering your silly big black hat and a mask. Then make a big swing towards whatever target you are aiming at. For sure you put there as wanted.

Yo!!!!! ZORRROO.....

:D

Status
Not open for further replies.