Pressure points in Putting?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Doing some digging through the archives, but never found anything of this subject. The kicker is I am working on left hand low putting this winter.
Interested in pressure pts needed for backswing -n- forward stroke.

Incase someone asks I am using a heel shafted putter (Scotty).

Why would I ask? I am working the roll on putts. Worked on eye position tinge inside ball now! Now my drill is --sharpied half the ball in black and watch the roll after contact. At first it was all over the place, but getting better. Problem-- still directionally challenged. When I pull it I can fell it and push it I can tell right away. So I belive there is a pressure point of of wack and can not narrow it done....
Help!
Thanks
Jeff S

still directionally challenged. Jeff S

How do you know it is a stroke problem and not an aim problem? Is someone standing behind you saying your aim is okay and the strokes off? Does the "directionally challenged" part give you give you the same error, left or right, everytime, or does it vary?

LiftOff-

I purchased a laser off ebay that helps line up. Little red dot above my target. I spot check the putter alignment, its getting better. Then I take the laser clip off and practice. I used to be aimed way left (poor eye setup outside the ball). Being a streaky putter, I assume I had lots of manipulating in my stroke with the hands. Now with my eye position better/alignment better, the stroke is not. :confused: I feel after a 10 minute practice session I am brain dead after an exam.

Also I read alot of Gaze, though I haven't really found a definition of it, where it should be or works.

Thanks!
Jeff S

Last edited:
Have you looked at any of Geoff Mangum's stuff. His latest book, Optimal Putting, came out last month, is extremely complete. There's an e-version.

I'm like you. Laser told me I was aiming left. Just a hair.

Now working on stroke. Found a string about six to eight inches above the putter from behind the hole to behind the ball has helped keep my stoke 'on plane' through the hitting area. (I'm using sish-ka-bob sticks with a string stretched between. It was easy on the budget! :) ) Just keep the white putter line under the string. Focus on the 'feel'.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
suns,

With respect to the roll of the ball, just as you can't influence the ball during impact in a full swing, you can't during a putting stroke(compress it or put extra topspin or less backspin).

So the factors that you can control are ball position, and effective loft of putterface. Work out what the optimal is for each of those factors and leave the manipulations out.

The optimal ball position should be more reflective of directionality than distance control though. It would be better to have a consistent amount of skid or hopping than attempting to have a perfect roll(whatever that is) and having poor directional control.

Damon

Status
Not open for further replies.