Professional Instruction

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thought I woudl share this one.

I'm hitting balls and my friend shows up with a young guy. Turns out my friend has volunteered to coach the golf team at a unique school that is attached to the university in town. These are high school guys.

So he asks me to help out with this one student, 15 years old. His grip is bad, he doesn't pivot, he's all arms, but occasionally he hits it pretty good.
Worked on fixing his grip, and he made a tiny bit of pivot progress.

The thing is that the kid has been taking lessons from the Pro at the most high cotton club in town. Same guy I took 1 lesson from 6 years ago and walked away shaking my head. Same guy that is on the local TV news at least once a week with a golf tip.

So in 8 lessons at $70 per hour, this guy has apparently done zip. The kid did not know what I meant by pivot! I asked the kid whether the Pro still was teaching, what I call the jump up move. He immediately knew what I meant. This Pro learned it from the guy he worked under in Hilton Head.
It's his method and he's obviously sticking to it!

Z

Zztop

The title could have been unprofessional instruction, or professional destruction, cause it doesn't sound like the kid got professional instruction. He got charged a "pro" fee that's about it.

Yeah what's the jump up move? Pulling the hula hoop out of the ground?

Last edited:
In what I call this guy's jump up move, he tells you to jump up, rise up, and throw your chest at the target just before impact. You can hit the ball like this, but that's was the whole lesson. Claimed that if I could learn to swing that way, I could play until I was in my 80's! I remember asking him how this would work for 120 yards in and he assured me it would.

Z

Zztop

In what I call this guy's jump up move, he tells you to jump up, rise up, and throw your chest at the target just before impact. You can hit the ball like this, but that's was the whole lesson. Claimed that if I could learn to swing that way, I could play until I was in my 80's! I remember asking him how this would work for 120 yards in and he assured me it would.

Professional Quackery at the highest level. You can hit the ball doing a lot of things, just not good.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.