Pulling left shoulder blade up at impact

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just noticed when hitting pitch shots and monitoring my finish position, that my left shoulder blade was pulled high at finish. I'm apparently using left trapezius muscle to pull the shoulder blade up and it probably happens just before impact.

I'm thinking that I've started to do that as a compensation of my last seasons swing issues that caused a steep angle of attack, deep divots and occasional fat shots.

I would think that it can work a source of power, because the upward/inward move will shorten the swing radius just as straightening left leg will. But I'm also thinking that it will be an additional moving component, making timing more difficult.

Right now I think I should get rid of that move, but I'm wondering if someone has an idea what the implications can be either way.:confused:

Negative, ghostrider

Jake,

Here's some homework for you.

1) Go online and find some pictures of tour players (getty images, ron watts, etc.) at impact

2) Tell me how many of them have their left shoulder A) parallel to the ground at impact B) lower than their right shoulder at impact

Here's a hint: The answer is 0.

I'm not gonna spoil the fun of it, but you need to tell me why this is important and I'll explain why your shoulders aren't the problem. ;)

Jake,
Here's some homework for you.
1) Go online and find some pictures of tour players (getty images, ron watts, etc.) at impact
2) Tell me how many of them have their left shoulder A) parallel to the ground at impact B) lower than their right shoulder at impact

Here's a hint: The answer is 0.
I'm not gonna spoil the fun of it, but you need to tell me why this is important and I'll explain why your shoulders aren't the problem. ;)

Thanks, I know what you mean, but that's not what I've tried to ask.

What I'm getting at is pulling the left shoulder up as an independent move (left shoulder up as close to your left ear as you can without tilting your head). That can be done irrespective of what the shoulder alignment is at impact.

I've tried to look at some sequences, but it's hard to tell for sure if trapezius is pulling the left shoulder blade up or is the shoulder blade where it would be when trapezius is relaxed. Some look like they are relaxed for sure, but some look like there could be upward pull.

Last edited:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator

What I'm getting at is pulling the left shoulder up as an independent move (left shoulder up as close to your left ear as you can without tilting your head). That can be done irrespective of what the shoulder alignment is at impact.

I've tried to look at some sequences, but it's hard to tell for sure if trapezius is pulling the left shoulder blade up or is the shoulder blade where it would be when trapezius is relaxed. Some look like they are relaxed for sure, but some look like there could be upward pull.

Which is why when we work with students we tell them BOTH "up" AND "back".

Bah!

Jake,

The shoulders are merely a component of the swing. I'll steal Brian's thunder:

The IMPERATIVES should dictate the components—not the other way around.

You have bigger, more critical issues to deal with than where your left shoulder is at. If you're unsatisfied with it's location or how it feels, etc. I would look no further than your pivot for the solution.

Jake,
You have bigger, more critical issues to deal with than where your left shoulder is at. If you're unsatisfied with it's location or how it feels, etc. I would look no further than your pivot for the solution.
2mongoose,
I couldn't agree more.
I should have mentioned that I've been working on getting my pivot going for a few weeks now and it feels and looks like I'm making progress.

Still, for me personally it helps a lot to understand what it is that I should actually try to do and then work on it bit by bit.
I probably would not have had good idea of what my problem was (or how to fix it) if it wasn't for Brian's videos and this site.

And now I know what the left shoulder muscles should do so I don't have to worry about it.:cool:

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.