Pulls and duck hooks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaaly struggling with pulls and duck hooks off the tee. Irons are generally good withe my miss being a pull. Very deep divots. Have been told that swing looks very armsy.

Any swing suggestions or quick tips you could offer would be appreciated. I have a tournament in one week and am looking to just keep my tee shots playable.

Drills? Swing thought?

Thanks
Jay

Reaaly struggling with pulls and duck hooks off the tee. Irons are generally good withe my miss being a pull. Very deep divots. Have been told that swing looks very armsy.

Any swing suggestions or quick tips you could offer would be appreciated. I have a tournament in one week and am looking to just keep my tee shots playable.

Drills? Swing thought?

Thanks
Jay

Depends a lot on which way your divots point but I'd suggest watching NHA a couple times....

Sounds like angle of attack is too steep creating a too in/out impact

Could be correct Jim. Any specific suggestions or drills to correct this issue?

I have also been told by so called "experts" that my club face looks closed with an OTT move but I think they are basing that on a poor understanding of ball flight laws.

So again any specific suggestions to shallow swing and or change path?

IMO - the more OTT the faster the clubface closes.

Simple answer to your problem: feel like you swing to right field on the downswing and aim a little to the right. What you feel is different than what's happening.

Gear effect from toe shots = duck hooks.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Could be correct Jim. Any specific suggestions or drills to correct this issue?

I have also been told by so called "experts" that my club face looks closed with an OTT move but I think they are basing that on a poor understanding of ball flight laws.

So again any specific suggestions to shallow swing and or change path?

do you have any video?

Sent

DTL sent, not the ideal camera area but hope it provides enough for some insight.

Face on angle will follow.

Thanks
Jay

Advice

Exchanged email with Jim. He made some suggestions which included:
1. Swing more right ( I play left handed)
2. Shallow out downswing

Jim had to run do to a time zone screw up on my part so I am looking for suggestions on how to shallow out a downswing. I have had a steep downswing forever, knew it was an issue but have never been able to get shallower with it. Suggestions on how to achieve this?

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
More vertical hands.

Steep shaft early in the downswing so it can be shallow at impact. A lot of people have it backwards shallow shaft early in the downswing with too horizontal hand path, to hit the ball you have to stand up the shaft because of the start to the downswing.

Tumble.

Below Plane and the VSP - YouTube

Erik_K

New
I think Michael Jacobs has a video that discusses this issue in a little more detail - replacing the left arm which is, in my opinion, the left arm getting closer to the chest (shaft steepens).

In my mind the element that shallows the shaft is the proper unbending of the right wrist. This enables the club head to work out and around you - this is a shallowing move.

As Jared stated, it's actually a somewhat counter-intuitive feeling or procedure.

Practice results

Went to the range last night to work on some things as per Jim's suggestions:

1) 3/4 wedge shots tyring to keep rear heel on ground throughout swing
2) Swinging more right (I play lefthanded)

Initially started with major shanks. Over time things improved. Irons on target and with solid contact. Three wood was good as well. Driver was still a struggle (mostly pulls). Jim then suggested I move my ball position around a little as experiment and see how that affects Driver ball flight. Will continue to work on it and see where things go. Challenge will be to take it to the course.

Thanks for the help Jim
Jay

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Based on the video he sent me, i wasn't surprised by the initial shanks; very steep driver shaft combined with a too closed shaft. As Brian taught me, "immediately take away the reward." My "foot on the ground" drill is to get people to tilt more through impact, Jay got the club in and deep enough he just didn't tilt enough thus carried the club a bit but came down too steep.

Status
Not open for further replies.