Push Draw

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there a reason to make the push draw your stock shot or should the ball be starting more on the intended line? I can't see a reason why you'd want the ball to start right and curve left if you're aiming straight. I've got a couple buddies who play the big push draw and they dread trees hanging from the right.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Depends on how big a push draw, most people like it because they deloft their irons a lot and it goes further. If you aim straight, hit down a little bit and swing a tad right with an open face you'll have a little push draw but nothing outrageous.

I dont think you would want to set out to make it your stock shot. I think if you have access to and understand your path and face values, it can be a nice pattern (~3 R Path and a 1 R Face ) . Where guys get into trouble with the push draw is when they are shoving the face more and more open to prevent their majorly rightward path from causing a hook.

Oh, and teaching a push draw for wedge play is huge. Teaching a good player how to hit a "cover draw" with a scape divot can be a huge piece for their scoring. I dont know if this is still the case but back as nearly as a couple of years ago I watched Tiger warm up by hitting nothing but 80 yard push draws with his sandwedge. Really gets the golfer primed up for shaft lean with minimal angle of attack.

hp12c

New
Oh, and teaching a push draw for wedge play is huge. Teaching a good player how to hit a "cover draw" with a scape divot can be a huge piece for their scoring. I dont know if this is still the case but back as nearly as a couple of years ago I watched Tiger warm up by hitting nothing but 80 yard push draws with his sandwedge. Really gets the golfer primed up for shaft lean with minimal angle of attack.

This sound so goood, but I think I would F it up, maybe as I get better I can give it a try!

Last edited by a moderator:
Still struggling with pulls and pull hooks and just low trajectory in general, and my teacher has been trying to get me to hit pretty much push cuts, or at least feel like I'm holding the face wide open. I told him I think I might be verging on just coming across it, but didn't quite know. He told me that over the top could be spotted by divots pointing left. He's a push drawer. I told him I thought the ball started where the face was pointing, for the most part, and the difference between the path and face angle determines what direction the ball will tend to spin. He kind of agreed but shrugged it off a bit. Man...

Last edited:
I dont think you would want to set out to make it your stock shot. I think if you have access to and understand your path and face values, it can be a nice pattern (~3 R Path and a 1 R Face ) . Where guys get into trouble with the push draw is when they are shoving the face more and more open to prevent their majorly rightward path from causing a hook.
Just curious: At what handicap level would/should a player have the ability to know his iron face is one degree adjusted? I know you can be modified to that in a TrackMan session but is it achievable in the wild?

So, a push draw is an inside out path that is greater than the open face angle to the target line. So if a player aligns his body way right, starts his ball a little right and it draws to the target does that qualify as a push draw?

When are we (golfers in general) going to start to understand. The goal is not the "look" of the move but the "look" of the ball flight.

The terms "push draw / pull draw" are basically meaninless terms unless defined by either the golfer's alignment or by the target.

If defined by the target line, and the golfers alignment is at the target or left of the target, then anything that starts right of the target line and moves back toward it could properly be defined a "push draw". However, if the golfer lines up to the right of the target, he could hit 3 types of "draws" - "push" if it starts right of the alignment, "online" if it starts on his alignment (but still right of the target), and "pull" if it starts left of his alignment (but still right of the target).

So calling anything that just happens to start right of the target a "push" draw is misleading unless the players alignment is factored in.

For me, I prefer the "online" to slightly "pulled" draw as trying to hit a "push" draw tends to get me too much under plane.

Bruce

So, a push draw is an inside out path that is greater than the open face angle to the target line. So if a player aligns his body way right, starts his ball a little right and it draws to the target does that qualify as a push draw?

When are we (golfers in general) going to start to understand. The goal is not the "look" of the move but the "look" of the ball flight.
See, I've got this ball flight if I do as you say. I don't get how or why anyone would necessarily want the look of aiming straight forward and having their ball sling way out right and come back. So easy to get under and just screw yourself up. No idea how to hit anything less than a long iron and pull it off halfway decently. I guess it comes from always trying to hit it straight. I have a hard time hitting pull cuts or push draws. From the time it leaves the face, I really only get the left to left or right to right, if it doesn't start off straight. I can flub it if I try to aim straight, but it's never a solid strike. I just change where I'm aiming to adjust instead.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.