Putting: How much forward shaft lean?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I feel like I make more consistent contact with my hands slightly forward of the ball, but might not have as precise directional control.

What is the recommended putting set-up? I know putting is personal etc, etc.

But what is considered orthodox.

Last edited:

hp12c

New
Orthodox?, or I would say variations, Ive tried a few, lets see forward press and no forward press, liked no forward press, shaft leaning forward or no shaft leaning forward, I like no forward leaning shaft, left hand low, left hand high, I like left hand high. My current set up is a Y set up, grip in between heel pad and thumb pad both hannds, I take the putter away with the right hand basically its an all right hand stroke with minimal left hand.

I have a slightly differing opinion. I think excessive forward shaft lean with the putter may "feel" more solid, but having the handle ahead of the ball at impact and then beyond leads certain players to drag the putter through impact, not allowing the putter to swing. I think it encourages overacceleration which leads to inconsistency in clubface control and...dare I say...the yips.

I would dare say that almost every great putter has a negative shaft angle at or just past impact. If you try to maintain a positive shaft angle (forward press) past impact you are probably blocking your putts.

Last edited:
Be careful of loft when you do it. One of my players had to add some loft t his putter when he started forward press. He is rolling it great though.

I have a slightly differing opinion. I think excessive forward shaft lean with the putter may "feel" more solid, but having the handle ahead of the ball at impact and then beyond leads certain players to drag the putter through impact, not allowing the putter to swing. I think it encourages overacceleration which leads to inconsistency in clubface control and...dare I say...the yips.

I would dare say that almost every great putter has a negative shaft angle at or just past impact. If you try to maintain a positive shaft angle (forward press) past impact you are probably blocking your putts.

Right on brother. I was guilty of dragging forward lean and I was the dead rolling-est, block putting-est idiot ever. I finally figured it out a year after Kevin Shields and Matt Kluck pointed it out. I finally started putting a little "strike" on my putts with a kind of hit and stop motion and things are WAY better.

ZAP

New
Seems to me that the only way I can make the ball roll true is to feel like I am letting the clubhead pass my hands early after impact.
Lindsey tried to get me to do this for nearly half an hour. I think I am getting better and I certainly am making more putts.

IMHO, making a backstroke that is long enough to allow the putter to glide into impact makes swinging the putter past your hands much, much easier. Putting with just my right hand or a sand wedge is also a great drill.

We never discuss putting around here...it's just not sexy enough.

It is...somewhat important.

I started this tread b/c of the short game deficiency in my game I recently noticied. Last weekend I lost a close match play tournament at my club. I hit the ball significantly better than each of my opponents, but still had many close matches and I eventually lost. My putting and short game were horrific compared to my ball striking. Brian and crew have incredibly improved my ball striking through their videos and forum (w/ some b doyle actual lessons) however, my short game is not keeping pace. I think the whole forum would benefit on more putting, chipping, pitching discussions. Seems the only thing ever said about it is do a mid sole tour pitch.

I think that Marius guy thinks the putterhead should pass the hands. There was some stat in the golf digest or golf magazine or something where he talked about it. Ah...Golf Mag Aug 2011. I would tend to agree with him on most of his points.

1. There is no acceleration of the putter past the ball, and the top speed is actually reached just a bit before the ball. Think of it like coasting through impact. 100% of the top 25 on TOUR do this.

2. He thinks the putt should take an inside approach and then proceed down the line for a few inches. No straight back/straight through, no arc. I don't really know if I go along with this...feels like a manipulation. 93% of the top 25 on TOUR hit from the inside for a putt. Wonder who the 7% are...Stricker?

3. The putter should pass the hands through impact so loft is added and the ball is encouraged to hug the ground as it rolls. The strike is upward, the head softly passes the shaft through impact, and the loft on the putter is used. I never could get used to that "block it down the line" Dave Stockton style approach. 100% of top 25 on TOUR add loft at impact.

4. The putter head is going to rotate. It has to. EVERYONE rotates the putter, whether or not it is one of those spaceship putters or a standard dandard Anser style. If the putter is rotating too much, it's you.

I hope this isn't against the rules. It's just a little study he did on what the big dogs on TOUR are doing.

dlam

New
I think that Marius guy thinks the putterhead should pass the hands. There was some stat in the golf digest or golf magazine or something where he talked about it. Ah...Golf Mag Aug 2011. I would tend to agree with him on most of his points.

1. There is no acceleration of the putter past the ball, and the top speed is actually reached just a bit before the ball. Think of it like coasting through impact. 100% of the top 25 on TOUR do this.

2. He thinks the putt should take an inside approach and then proceed down the line for a few inches. No straight back/straight through, no arc. I don't really know if I go along with this...feels like a manipulation. 93% of the top 25 on TOUR hit from the inside for a putt. Wonder who the 7% are...Stricker?

3. The putter should pass the hands through impact so loft is added and the ball is encouraged to hug the ground as it rolls. The strike is upward, the head softly passes the shaft through impact, and the loft on the putter is used. I never could get used to that "block it down the line" Dave Stockton style approach. 100% of top 25 on TOUR add loft at impact.

4. The putter head is going to rotate. It has to. EVERYONE rotates the putter, whether or not it is one of those spaceship putters or a standard dandard Anser style. If the putter is rotating too much, it's you.

I hope this isn't against the rules. It's just a little study he did on what the big dogs on TOUR are doing.

Is there a link for all this info?

I been using a belly putter and I prefer no forward lean on the putter with the belly however with the standard putter length I have a noticable forward lean on the putter shaft.

Marius seems to advocate negative lean at impact which I think will lead to flipping, that would look like the wristy stroke from the 1950's
I do like the idea of arc back and straight down the line in the forward stroke.
but I feel I can control it with shoulder movements and not the wrists.

Manipulation is too strong of a word ,
What i consider manipulation is another man's natural putting stroke and vica versa.

Remember when the claw grip was popular? I thought that was manipulation.....tried it and it began to feel natural.....dont use it but made me more open minded to different strokes for different folks.

Status
Not open for further replies.