Putting Imperative

Status
Not open for further replies.

Also a putter with room for an alignment line so you can detect your swing path and by that decrease the times your path is wrong and you hit putts with incorrect face angles.

Fingersen.. a bit of friendly advice...:)
Swing path is not as important as most people have been led to believe.

Don't waste too much time with "straight-back, straight-through" rubbish. It is areal time consumer and VERY VERY hard to achieve. It also involves rotation of the putter face during the stroke. Not neccessary.
Use a simple shoulder turn, club goes back to the inside-to square at impact-to inside on the follow through.
Focus on matching the face angle of the putter to the face angle you had at address (you will have to visualize this when you are at address and remember it for impact)...

use FLW...

...and just try to hole it with the back of your left hand.
I´m using a cross-handed-grip for this and don´t care
of my shoulders (they move, but not consciously).
.... some sort of hand-controlled-pivot and...

...just one of many possibilties..... for me it works well (in the moment :) )

For alignment-training draw a line to the hole and a perpendicular
line for the setup of the face. (assuming there´s no break)
If you don´t sink the ball..... you turned the face.

Fingersen.. a bit of friendly advice...:)
Swing path is not as important as most people have been led to believe.

Don't waste too much time with "straight-back, straight-through" rubbish. It is areal time consumer and VERY VERY hard to achieve. It also involves rotation of the putter face during the stroke. Not neccessary.
Use a simple shoulder turn, club goes back to the inside-to square at impact-to inside on the follow through.
Focus on matching the face angle of the putter to the face angle you had at address (you will have to visualize this when you are at address and remember it for impact)...

Frankly, I don't focus much on taking the putter straight back and straight through as per Stan Utley...Cause by putting an iron on the floor and swinging a putter along it, it's easily seen that the path goes in the fashion you describe.

However, my main concern is knowing whether that the angle of the putterface/head at address is square to the hole.

There's got to be putters on the market with markings telling the user whether he or she's setting the putterface correct or not in relation to the target. Because first when this issue is solved, I can begin focusing on matching this angle to the angle I wish to have at impact...

Does the Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Mallet 2 putter do this, or?

on putting at set up we have the clubhead on the ground but at impact we have it above the ground. Is there anything to do at address to adjust for this to make putting more precise?

yes it does...but i thought this was even more interesting:

http://www.titleist.com/images/products/pdfs/detour.pdf

...if you have $300 burning a hole in your pocket, that is:)

Forget that useless gimmick...total waste of space...

It's hard enought aiming the putter correctly anyway, without having a damn circular line on it...

Another example of misinformed thinking, i.e. that the path of the putter is more important than anything else...
OEMs will inflict anything on you to get your money...

Frankly, I don't focus much on taking the putter straight back and straight through as per Stan Utley...Cause by putting an iron on the floor and swinging a putter along it, it's easily seen that the path goes in the fashion you describe.

However, my main concern is knowing whether that the angle of the putterface/head at address is square to the hole.

There's got to be putters on the market with markings telling the user whether he or she's setting the putterface correct or not in relation to the target. Because first when this issue is solved, I can begin focusing on matching this angle to the angle I wish to have at impact...

Does the Scotty Cameron Futura Phantom Mallet 2 putter do this, or?

I'll say this one last time.
If you want to know you are lining up the putter correctly, BUY A LASER!....

Until then use M/S Word and, in landscape view, draw on straight line across the page (You aim this line at your target) and one other line at 90* which bisects the first line (this is the line you put your putterface against at address).

Use it at home for a couple of days and you will get used to seeing how the putter/face etc looks when it is set up correctly.

Then when you are actually putting, pick a mark on the turf about 1-2 feet in front of the ball (and dead in line with where you want the ball to start) and use that as an aiming point when you setup. This means you only really have to aim a 1-2 foot putt...Most of us can manage that.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.