Putting mechanics

Status
Not open for further replies.

bcoak

New
Can we talk putting? Threads have been started but seem to not go anyplace. Regarding hitting down on the driver thread, does this mean you should hit down on a putt too?

I have seen Ben Crenshaw talk about his putting stroke like a chip shot so that would presume down.

Can we talk putting? Threads have been started but seem to not go anyplace. Regarding hitting down on the driver thread, does this mean you should hit down on a putt too?

I have seen Ben Crenshaw talk about his putting stroke like a chip shot so that would presume down.

The problem with putting mechanics is its even more individual than the golf swing, meaning there are so many ways to be a good putter. You can cut across it like Loren Roberts, you can hit it with a hook spin like I believe Crenshaw did, you can arc-arc, arc-straight thrugh, you can hit down, up, etc etc. I have seen people with forward shaft lean, backwards shaft lean.

The bottom like is you have to control the face of the putter, the rest is all preference. Putting mechanics IMO are overrated.

I do like having some forward lean of the shaft and an arc backstroke, and I don't like bending the right wrist on the backstroke.

I emphasize speed in putting. If you get the speed wrong (obviously this is less important on shorter putts where line is more crucial) then two bad things can happen, your line becomes meaningless and you can three putt. If you get the line wrong but speed right only one bad thing can happen, you miss the putt.

Also I think people need to manage expectations in putting, its very interesting to see the stats they have been using on the past two weeks of telecasts, the putts made drop of so severely that its funny listening to players who missed a bunch of 20' putts and then say they did not make a thing, well the expectations is 1/10 for the PGA players at 20'.

If you are good inside of 5' then you are likely a very good putter by anyones standards because of the percentages as you go out to 10', 20' etc.

The best I've ever putted in my life was in college when I was a really, really, really good putter. Back then I just worried about having a nice rhythm to my stroke and keeping my putterhead low. I then got more serious into mechanics and it screwed everything up. Now my putting is getting better and better. I'd hate to think what it would be if I practiced it more often.

And basically I've gone back to working on rhythm and tempo and a few other things that Geoff Mangum talks about. But, it's not really mechanical...yet, I'm much more consistent at making a good strike of the ball. And when I don't make good contact, I don't worry too much about it. I'm more concerned with touch/speed than striking it perfect.

I just would NOT hit down on the ball with the putter though. Remember, the feel ain't real.

3JACK

Last edited:

footwedge

Reading your take on putting is interesting in the fact that when you got more serious about mechanics you screwed up everything. You wonder if that applies to the full swing mechanics or just putting, food for thought. Is there a point where if you go too far into the mechanics it all breaks down from overload? I think it's an interesting and also frustrating problem.

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Spot on, Richie.... Greg, you have much to learn. There are plenty of 'mechanics' to learn, some of which are different from full swing mechanics. Bcoak, can you think of a good reason to hit down on putts?

The unknown aspect for many, is the relationships between touch, stroke, aim and green reading!

footwedge

Only reason I can think of that hitting down on putts is if it's a feel of hitting down and not really hitting down and that feel helps you make putts.

Only reason I can think of that hitting down on putts is if it's a feel of hitting down and not really hitting down and that feel helps you make putts.

The only way I can even conceptualize hitting down on it would be to use some kind of pop stroke.

dbl

New
To hit down, couldn't one just hit the ball before low point? Some days I put the ball right of center with hands/handle ahead and it can feel somewhat before lowpoint...

bcoak

New
Spot on, Richie.... Greg, you have much to learn. There are plenty of 'mechanics' to learn, some of which are different from full swing mechanics. Bcoak, can you think of a good reason to hit down on putts?

The unknown aspect for many, is the relationships between touch, stroke, aim and green reading!

No, I can't. You are not trying to "launch" a putt but getting it to roll as quickly as possible. Top spin if anything like tennis

Reading your take on putting is interesting in the fact that when you got more serious about mechanics you screwed up everything. You wonder if that applies to the full swing mechanics or just putting, food for thought. Is there a point where if you go too far into the mechanics it all breaks down from overload? I think it's an interesting and also frustrating problem.

Well, a few things happened.

I'm not sure if I just started to develop more of a right aim bias over time or not. But, I started aiming putters well to the right of the target. I kinda suspect I've had this all along. I putted great with 3 different putters in my life...a Ping B61, a Wilson 8802 and a Tad Moore that was shaped similarly to the Ping B61. The B61 is designed so that it will likekly help a golfer with a right aim bias. But the 8802 is more likely to help a golfer with a left aim bias. Eventually I went to putters like a Zing2 model, a Ping Pal model type of design and those just help me aim to the right even more. I got a Yes! mallet putter. I've become less and less of a fan of mallets over the past year. Anyway, now that I have an Edel that fits my eye, it's actually somewhat similar to the B61 and Tad Moore model I had. I'm not sure why the 8802 worked for me.

Either way, when I was using the Yes! and using Mangum's teaching philosophy I started putting better. Mainly because my speed/touch improved dramatically.

I don't think I was over-thinking with the mechanics either. But I was worried about keeping it SBST or having that 'perfect arc' stroke and buying training aids for it. Those things...IMO...really don't matter. I could have the greatest mechanics ever, but if my touch/speed sucks, I'm going to miss a lot of putts I should make.

I'm not saying there is no mechanics involved with the putting stroke, but it's really overblown by the golf world and usually people look in the wrong place.

3JACK

Just so you know, that "hitting down on the driver" thread is an old one. I believe the thinking about hitting down on the driver has changed, right?

I've never been a great putter. I'm starting to get better, but it's so challenging. To me it's such an art as opposed to a science. If you have a breaking putt, there are a million paths to making that putt depending on the pace. I think a consistent delivery speed is so key, you can't get aim right until you know the delivery speed, which is something Mangum is big on.

I've spent quite a bit of time over the last few months practicing with putter clips - the bars that you attach either side of the putter sweetspot that basically give you a shank if you miss the sweetspot by any amount. I'm wary of drawing too many conclusions just yet, as I don't think I've played enough competitive rounds to really assess any improvement, but I do feel like I'm putting better and that I've learned a few things in the process.

One is that even if all you want to accomplish is a centered strike - there are a hundred contradictory ways to do it, one or two of which will feel good on any given day. The old adage "feel is not real" may well be true - but I think that cuts both ways. In putting at least, I think that feel might trump mechanics in that it might take what feels like a radically different stroke to make a relatively minor mechanical adjustment.

I'm beginning to think that putting might be more of a skill than a technique. How you look at the ball and the target, and envisage the stroke might be more important than the stroke itself.

Also, I think I've discovered that in putting at least, not all of my faults are consistent. I see consistent tendencies in the overall outline of my stroke. But when it comes down to the subtleties of whether I'm hitting putts slightly out of the heel, or slightly out of the toe - or slightly open-faced or slightly closed - this will vary from day to day. I'm really coming around to the idea that putting, and maybe golf in general, is more of a process of finding your feel for a given day than of honing a stroke that will see you through thick and thin.

Lastly, I'm starting to believe that, with the ability to strike putts consistently - a lot of other good things will happen instinctively.

I'm pretty sure Stan Utley recommends hitting slightly down on putts in his book. I'd have to go back and double check to be sure though. And putting is one of the things he's known for.

He absolutely recommends hitting slightly down on his putts. There is nothing wrong with hitting down (or up) for that matter. Solid contact, good putter face alignment and distance control are the only things that matter.

I seem to remember a certain instructor doing pretty well with a three iron on a putting green versus David Toms...and I'm pretty sure he was hitting down. Way too much is made of getting the ball rolling immediately off the putter blade. We aren't putting on on carpet or astroturf. Its grass and its full of imperfections and loose impediments...try practicing on aerified greens...the ball can still find the hole.

Players who try to hit up on their putts, tend to do it to an extreme and miss-hit way too many of their putts.

I was one of the most "mechanical putters" in the world. I've read every putting book I could find and I got worse and worse with every new book. I'll bet if you asked Brian he would agree that I was a total wreck. He said one of the funniest things I've ever heard at a golf lesson. I was hitting a few putts for him to see what I do when I putt and I actually made several. I said, "well that's not what I usually do". Almost apologizing for making a putt. He didn't skip a beat and replied, "Well, I'm certainly not impressed". LOL!!!!

Same story as a lot of players. Was a good putter as a kid and through college. Never thought about how I putted, or ever worried about my stroke. I didn't even practice much. I just played and made putts like it was second nature. Went to a Dave Pelz putting clinic in Austin, Texas soon after I graduated from college. Wanted to chase the dream. I never putted well again.

Every book I read and every technique I tried after that just made me less confident and more mechanical. It finally got so bad last year that I just walked away from the game. The last time I played last year, I was playing with a few friends after I blew yet another qualifier the previous weekend. I had already decided that I was quitting the game. I hadn't told anyone yet except maybe one person here on this forum. Anyway, I had a 8 foot birdie putt on the 18th hole of my final round of golf. A pretty simple uphill putt with about 4 inches of break, right to left. I was convinced that I was about to putt a golf ball for the last time in my life. I was so burned out I couldn't wait to quit. Anyway......I rolled the putt and.....I didn't even scare the hole. I knew I was done. I was relieved that I missed as that was the final sign from above that I could walk away with no regrets.

There is nothing more disheartening than putting badly. It sucks the life out of your game and it's impossible to be a good player unless you're a good putter. No matter how well you hit it from tee to green, you have to make the putt. A 300 yard drive down the middle....a pure 7 iron to 10 feet.......and miss the putt. Your playing partner hits a 50 yard off line drive, chunks a 5 iron to 80 yards short of the green, hit's his wedge to 10 feet.......and drains the putt. You both walk off with a 4. He's pumped....you're so mad you can't breathe. It finally got to the point that I hated the game. All the hours and hours of practice every day for years felt like a complete waste of time.

But......hope springs eternal I suppose. Brian blew up my putting stroke and showed me things I had never seen, read, or experienced. He recommended a longer and different style putter to further wash the old away. There's no guarantee that I'll be a better putter this time....but at least the stroke he taught me is so far from "mechanical" that I'm getting a fresh start. It was fun putting again. The ball rolls better and there is so much more "energy" in the roll. It's hard to explain...but it feels completely different.

So, the only suggestion I can ever make as far as putting goes is this:

..................don't ask me........I'm clueless.......................

footwedge

I was one of the most "mechanical putters" in the world. I've read every putting book I could find and I got worse and worse with every new book. I'll bet if you asked Brian he would agree that I was a total wreck. He said one of the funniest things I've ever heard at a golf lesson. I was hitting a few putts for him to see what I do when I putt and I actually made several. I said, "well that's not what I usually do". Almost apologizing for making a putt. He didn't skip a beat and replied, "Well, I'm certainly not impressed". LOL!!!!

Same story as a lot of players. Was a good putter as a kid and through college. Never thought about how I putted, or ever worried about my stroke. I didn't even practice much. I just played and made putts like it was second nature. Went to a Dave Pelz putting clinic in Austin, Texas soon after I graduated from college. Wanted to chase the dream. I never putted well again.

Every book I read and every technique I tried after that just made me less confident and more mechanical. It finally got so bad last year that I just walked away from the game. The last time I played last year, I was playing with a few friends after I blew yet another qualifier the previous weekend. I had already decided that I was quitting the game. I hadn't told anyone yet except maybe one person here on this forum. Anyway, I had a 8 foot birdie putt on the 18th hole of my final round of golf. A pretty simple uphill putt with about 4 inches of break, right to left. I was convinced that I was about to putt a golf ball for the last time in my life. I was so burned out I couldn't wait to quit. Anyway......I rolled the putt and.....I didn't even scare the hole. I knew I was done. I was relieved that I missed as that was the final sign from above that I could walk away with no regrets.

There is nothing more disheartening than putting badly. It sucks the life out of your game and it's impossible to be a good player unless you're a good putter. No matter how well you hit it from tee to green, you have to make the putt. A 300 yard drive down the middle....a pure 7 iron to 10 feet.......and miss the putt. Your playing partner hits a 50 yard off line drive, chunks a 5 iron to 80 yards short of the green, hit's his wedge to 10 feet.......and drains the putt. You both walk off with a 4. He's pumped....you're so mad you can't breathe. It finally got to the point that I hated the game. All the hours and hours of practice every day for years felt like a complete waste of time.

But......hope springs eternal I suppose. Brian blew up my putting stroke and showed me things I had never seen, read, or experienced. He recommended a longer and different style putter to further wash the old away. There's no guarantee that I'll be a better putter this time....but at least the stroke he taught me is so far from "mechanical" that I'm getting a fresh start. It was fun putting again. The ball rolls better and there is so much more "energy" in the roll. It's hard to explain...but it feels completely different.

So, the only suggestion I can ever make as far as putting goes is this:

..................don't ask me........I'm clueless.......................

One of the best posts I have read on any forum. Thanks for that.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Whenever I chip and putt now I ask myself "WWRFD?" or "What would Rickie Fowler do?" He would get up and bang the thing in like a child and if he missed he would bang the next one in on the lowest practical line.

My last three tournament rounds have all been under 30 putts and I couldnt be happier about it. My advice is to work on green reading first and ur stroke a distant second.

I've never been a great putter. I'm starting to get better, but it's so challenging. To me it's such an art as opposed to a science. If you have a breaking putt, there are a million paths to making that putt depending on the pace. I think a consistent delivery speed is so key, you can't get aim right until you know the delivery speed, which is something Mangum is big on.

I used to think like this but have changed my mind a bit. There are elements of both art and science. Art-green reading, touch and feel; Science-stroke mechanics (get the face and path to match for the best possible roll on the line you want HOWEVER YOU CAN GET IT DONE). Putting can be a deceiving, you can put a horrible stroke on it but misread it enough and hit it harder or easier than optimum and make it, put a GREAT stroke on it and miss because you hit it a fraction too hard or hit a footprint that you can't even see. First guy thinks he's doing it right, second guy hates himself.

Status
Not open for further replies.