putting motion

Status
Not open for further replies.
The only one I've heard of is "rocking the shoulders", however, I have seen a couple of video clips that the motion should be moving the right elbow up for the backswsing and the left elbow up for the throughswing.
Supposedly, the advantage is less head movement than rocking the shoulders. I've tried the elbow motion, but I haven't been able to get it down. I still struggle with the rocking the shoulders motion.
Has anyone been through both? Is one more reliable or simpler than the other?
Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
p

I'm not sure if the two putting styles you mention would be that much different in practice. Visually they'd look almost identical.

Even if you think you're using your elbows, your shoulders are still moving(and vice versa). The idea of initiating with either your elbows or shoulders is, in my opinion, a mental stimulus rather than a separate action.

As for myself, I've recently spent some time reading a putting guru's website and I'm fairly taken with his methodology. He advocates a stroke in which the lead shoulder is the focal point. He also stresses the importance of letting the putter fall through the downswing. I might be drinking a little kool-aid, but it makes a lot of sense to me and I'm putting pretty well.

The only one I've heard of is "rocking the shoulders", however, I have seen a couple of video clips that the motion should be moving the right elbow up for the backswsing and the left elbow up for the throughswing.
Supposedly, the advantage is less head movement than rocking the shoulders. I've tried the elbow motion, but I haven't been able to get it down. I still struggle with the rocking the shoulders motion.
Has anyone been through both? Is one more reliable or simpler than the other?
Any thoughts suggestions would be appreciated.
Thanks,
p

Ohhhh baby........you're talking to the man that has tried em' all.

The one putting stroke that uses the shoulders the least is probably Utley's.
With Utley's there is a folding of the elbows back and through and the shoulders only react when the putts get longer.

The term "shoulder stroke" can be misleading. Some guys feel like it's the shoulders they are moving when it's actually the oblique muscles moving the shoulders. IIRC Mike Shannon advocates a more of an oblique powered stroke. There are probably as many "strokes" as there are golfers.

What kind of trouble are you having with rocking the shoulders? Is it distance, direction, or both?

Maybe someone that actually can putt can be more helpful. LOL!!!!

ggsjpc

New
I think the oblique way is the best. Very managable muscle region and produces much more consistent levels of acceleration to help control pace.

I always seem to go back to a right arm dominated stroke. I couldn't tell you why at this point. I think it naturally gives me better path and my distance control also seems more natural.

I am trying real hard to "break" it with a shoulder rocking stroke but I dunnnnnooooo...

How are you putting Otto?

As for myself, I've recently spent some time reading a putting guru's website and I'm fairly taken with his methodology. He advocates a stroke in which the lead shoulder is the focal point. He also stresses the importance of letting the putter fall through the downswing. I might be drinking a little kool-aid, but it makes a lot of sense to me and I'm putting pretty well.

Me too. I've been striking the ball great and putting awful for so long now, that I finally just decided to try out his system fully. This meant I had to start with a putter that fit this stroke - quite a bit shorter and more upright.

Yesterday was the first time I put all the planning and reading into practice on the course, so it's too early to tell. But I had 3 1-putts in a row on the back 9 of more than 15 feet, and I had 29 putts on the day (shot 75). I have a tendency to change too much and too often with my putting (new putter, new setup, etc.), so I'm going to commit to this for the summer.

Has anyone bought this particular guru's ebook? Any reviews? Is it worth it? The guy clearly knows a lot, but he has NO IDEA how to explain things clearly and succinctly. He could use a teaching lesson from Brian; if he taught the way Brian did, his teaching and approach would be even bigger than it is. Maybe I'll get a putting lesson from Damon...

Last edited:
How are you putting Otto?

Ahhhhh....the million dollar question huh?

I am working VERY hard. 2+ hours a day on the practice green. I have been wearing out my Pelz Putting Tutor. I am finally starting the ball on line consistently so I am going to say, "it's a bit better".

I'm still taking too many putts per round. Few three putts, but not enough one putts on GIR's where I have legitimate chances.

All in all....I'm keeping at it. I figure I have nothing else to do anyway. LOL!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.