Putting Question

Status
Not open for further replies.
SD 1.0 all summer and game on the upswing. Problem is putting. Got a flick in the stroke with left hand and clubface wants to snap left -closed(not yips....yet :eek:). Hence putts missed left (short or long)

Equipment: Scotty Cameron -fitted fyi
Stroke: Small arc
Aim: confirms with laser (checks out ok <good enough>)
Green Speed: 8-10 so not slow

Any ideas besides threatening my left wrist (threat worked on one hole only)?

Just wondering if anyone encountered this and had something work for them.
Thanks
JeffS

Last edited:
I was really struggling with my putting and then I got a putter fitting, bought a new putter with the results of the putter fitting and now I'm putting entirely better. I had 28 putts today on verti-cut greens and I hit 14 GIR.

One thing that was happening is I was getting a lot of skid with my putter which had a 4* loft. I think the Camerons have 4* loft. We went down to 2.5* loft and my skid improved dramatically. Of course, you can possibly not have enough loft on your putter so you have to tool around with things for a bit. We tried backweighting the putter, but that actually worked worse and we then went with a putter that had a heavier putter head and that worked the best. Cameron's are usually pretty light, so that *might* be causing too much skid on your putts.

With the old putter, I was getting some skid and the ball would hit the putter face and take off either left or right. Then my brain would start to compensate for that and things went haywire.

If you want to get your putter fitted, I'd suggest finding a clubfitter that the Mitchell Putter Fitting Studio.

3JACK

D-PLANE !!!

Try to aim a little left and hit a small (part of a ball) cut with your putter, if your aiming left and trying to "cut" it you probably wont close the putterface as much if any especially with a little practice

Thanks 3Jack. My fear is my ole (heavier) putter will do better. Good spot to start.......
Thanks
JeffS

Could happen. Depends where the weight is. I went to a Yes! putter with a putterhead that weighed 370 grams which is pretty heavy. Loft is key as well. The Camerons are usualy at 4* and are pretty light.

3JACK

Damon Lucas

Super Moderator
Little bit more pressure with the pad of the left thumb on the handle - mitigates the left forearm rotation. I would still watch what you are doing with the shoulders though.

Seems to me that one critical question has not been asked.

How are you gripping your putter? Grip aligned up the lifeline of your palm?

"Little bit more pressure with the pad of the left thumb on the handle - mitigates the left forearm rotation. I would still watch what you are doing with the shoulders though."
Damon would you mind elaborating with the shoulders?

How are you gripping your putter? Grip aligned up the lifeline of your palm?
Softconsult- think it is a standard overlapping grip (good one- sorry so focused on all the videos here, you got me- I really couldn't tell you). I kind of get focused on path line speed, then grip how it feels comfortable. Im current stuck in the cube farm. You have an example of right hand and left hand grip. Summary - should the grip be in the palm or fingers.....? Thanks!

adamscot89
D Plane-hmmmm interesting. Thanks........will try Thursday before league, is there a downward angle of attack I should worry about?

Google "Reverse Overlap Grip" several tutorials will pop-up. This is the most common grip.

Helping with your putting stroke is a serious challenge without actually seeing your stroke.

Google "Reverse Overlap Grip" several tutorials will pop-up. This is the most common grip.

Helping with your putting stroke is a serious challenge without actually seeing your stroke.

It probably is the most common but I also think Mangum doesn't care for it. Not that you have to listen to everything 1 man says.

I'm certainly not advocating one putting grip over another. The reference to Mangum assumes that readers know who he is. At first I didn't, but looked him up and realized that I had seen his site before. I think this was the site that talked about the speed of the ball as it went by the hole determining the percentage chance of it going in. Pretty much debunked the Pelz 17 inch by theory.

I don't want to hijack the thread into a Mangum topic, but he really doesn't care that much as to what grip or stroke method you use. As he likes to say, the face needs to be square to the target at impact and about 3-4" past impact, the rest is pretty much window dressing.

Grip certainly could be an issue. I just mentioned the putter because I had a similar experience myself. The putts for me would mostly shoot off to the right just after impact, but also sometimes to the left as well. Then my brain started to try and make up for it. The skid I had with that putter was pretty bad, and it was a light putter with a 4* loft. Sounds just like the Cameron putters. They also said that the putters with grooves on the face do work in reducing the skid (although they don't eliminate skid all together like Yes! putters claim they do). The clubfitter also said that while Rife and Yes! grooves do work well, they had the most success with the Taylor Made Putters with the grooves on them. But TM didn't have any putter styles that I liked and didn't have a putterhead that was heavy enough for my liking, so I went to Yes.

Anyway, pretty much immediately the short putts became automatic. And it took me about week before I started making a lot of putts outside of 5 feet. But I no longer had to worry about the ball shooting off the face to the left or to the right and try to compensate for it.

3JACK

I'm certainly not advocating one putting grip over another. The reference to Mangum assumes that readers know who he is. At first I didn't, but looked him up and realized that I had seen his site before. I think this was the site that talked about the speed of the ball as it went by the hole determining the percentage chance of it going in. Pretty much debunked the Pelz 17 inch by theory.

Yes because hitting a ball 17" past the cup is not a speed, it's a distance. Furthermore, it doesn't account for slope of the putt, types of grass, and stimp. I worked extremely hard on getting a 17" past the cup and started to hit putts way too hard. It's taken me awhile to get this out of my mind and I still struggle with it. I've gotten it out of my system on short putts and I think it's helped me make those tough breaking short putts a lot more often.

3JACK

What worked for me was to open my stance just a tad and really feel Pressure Point #3 on the putter shaft. Maintain that straight line from impact to 3-4" past. Also try practicing putting with a Tac-Tic on your left wrist. Let me know how it works for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.