question about deciphering trackman data

Status
Not open for further replies.
I was hitting some balls with the driver yesterday on a trackman and was getting some numbers i couldn't explain. i had some shots with positive club path (<2 degrees) and positive face-to-path numbers (<2 degrees) but a negative spin axis on a confirmed (1/4 inch) heel hit (i used impact spray)

had a couple others that were clear toe impacts as evidenced by the impact spray, but didn't exhibit the spin axis numbers gear effect might have predicted.

has anyone else seen similar data? and if so, any ideas about what the cause(s) might be?

I was hitting some balls with the driver yesterday on a trackman and was getting some numbers i couldn't explain. i had some shots with positive club path (<2 degrees) and positive face-to-path numbers (<2 degrees) but a negative spin axis on a confirmed (1/4 inch) heel hit (i used impact spray)

had a couple others that were clear toe impacts as evidenced by the impact spray, but didn't exhibit the spin axis numbers gear effect might have predicted.

has anyone else seen similar data? and if so, any ideas about what the cause(s) might be?

Don't understand what you are asking. The spin axis is not only gear effect but also face/path, so gear effect spin axis can be cancelled out by face/path. So heel impact together with inside-out / closed face can generate 0 spin axis tilt. Toe and outside-in and open face can also generate 0 tilt.

Last edited:
Don't understand what you are asking. The spin axis is not only gear effect but also face/path, so gear effect spin axis can be cancelled out by face/path. So toe impact together with inside-out / closed face can generate 0 spin axis tilt.

OK, I was thinking that a positive face to path would generate a positive spin axis and that heel hit on the same swing would also lead to some additional degree of positive spin axis. But you are saying that those two things could counteract each other? In other words, that the combination of impact conditions in my example could exhibit either positive, negative, or 0 axis tilt depending on the magnitude of each factor? I think I am grasping but not quite there yet.

OK, I was thinking that a positive face to path would generate a positive spin axis and that heel hit on the same swing would also lead to some additional degree of positive spin axis.
correct

But you are saying that those two things could counteract each other? In other words, that the combination of impact conditions in my example could exhibit either positive, negative, or 0 axis tilt depending on the magnitude of each factor? I think I am grasping but not quite there yet.

in your example you talked about toe impacts

and I made a error in my explication :(.. I corrected my post above.

Yes it's the magnitude of each factor that create the final amount of spin axis tilt. Please note that the face open/close reading is also in relation to the impact postion: blog.trackman.dk/?p=369

Trackman Blog said:
Due to the bulge of the driver, if the ball is impacted ½ inch (12.7 mm) towards the heel, the face angle will at this point on the club face be 2 deg. closed relative to the center of the club face. Likewise, if the ball is impacted ½ inch towards the toe, the face angle at this point will be 2 deg. open relative to the center of the club face. This rule-of-thumb actually works for all drivers on the market.........
The above raises an important question when analyzing the TrackMan club data. Is a 2 deg. closed face-to-path due to a center hit with a truly closed face, or is it a square club delivery, but heel impact?

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
bryan@nobackswing.com;235153 positive club path (<2 degrees) positive face-to-path numbers (<2 degrees) negative spin axis on a confirmed (1/4 inch) heel hit (i used impact spray) any ideas about what the cause(s) might be?[/QUOTE said:
Is this a driver?

in your example you talked about toe impacts

Frans, i just meant that in addition to the heel impact swing i described, i also had swings with toe impact that showed different data than i would have predicted. Basically a negative face/path and a toe hit, but a positive spin axis.

Is this a driver?

yes they were driver swings. if i remember correctly, i also hit a couple with a 3 hybrid that showed spin axis numbers that didn't seem to jibe with the impact marks.

Status
Not open for further replies.