Question about over pivoting/sliding

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ok bear with me on the long read.

Currently, at my course the range is being seeded and sanded so they move the whole thing up for two weeks. This temporary location is mostly uneven where my front (left) foot is slightly higher than the back. From this spot I am a machine, mashing everything with a tiny draw. I have plenty of time on the downswing and shallow to steep works great. This happened last spring as well. As soon as they move the range back to normal, and even lies return, I'm back too inconsistent shots, steep, deep divots etc.

What does that tell you?

I find it somewhat discouraging because I remember it happening last year so I went to practice this year to test the theory and the same thing happened.

I don't feel like I'm over pivoting at all.

This reminds me of my round this week. I hit, no exaggeration, one good iron shot the whole day. That shot was on an uphill lie. I was to distracted to analyze it then; I was hitting it so bad I chalked it up to being a blind squirrel. But your post made me think, and it reminded me of when I was hitting my irons well, and my thought was to stay behind it. For me, I have had a bad right ankle for 30 years, so I often favor it by cheating to my left in everything.

The uphill lie, I think, kind of forces me to load the right side a bit on the backswing, and prevents me from going left too early or too much.

Try to find a thought that replicates that feel on level ground and see if it helps. And thanks for posting this topic. I hope doing so helps you as much as I think it will help me :)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Over "pivoting" and over "sliding" is two different things.

It's hard to over "pivot" if you make a normal COP shift on the downswing. BUT! Over sliding is EASY and a big detriment to good golf.

Seems to me the uneven lie is getting you to TO that front foot and leg, but not allowing you PAST it.

Interesting because it's the opposite for me. I hit a better when my front foot is lower than my back foot.

Especially for chipping and pitching, I hate an uphill lie (front foot higher).

I wonder what that means about my game...

Can I play? I hit the ball much better with the ball below my feet and dread the shot when the ball is above my feet. Any insight why that might be?

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The combined GROUND REACTION FORCE VECTOR (the push back from the ground that acts on your body) needs to be somewhat forward of your center of mass.

Many folks lean back and push back too much with the ball higher than normal, and this thwarts coming out of forward tilt and can spoil the shot.

I'll post up a little video clip to explain better...

Seems to me the uneven lie is getting you to TO that front foot and leg, but not allowing you PAST it.

Brian's quote above is very applicable to you, JB. That strong lateral LATE move gets a lot of guys who've grown up playing other sport that require it. I'd like to see you and Leo switch ranges for a few hours.

Status
Not open for further replies.