Question for Brian/Michael Jacobs and anyone really...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have had success with the coupling point no going down so much with my chipping/short pitching but things still get a bit nasty...

With your research/thoughts you've mentioned this coupling point going down too steeply can be "a" cause of yips....

I wondered if you had any findings on 'why' the coupling point goes too steeply?

I have recently had access to high speed video and on my chipping/short pitching the face is coming into the ball WIDE open (lagging the hosel wide open)

It's like I need a Never Slice again for my short game :)

It seems like my yip is a panic flip to try to square the face/not hit it fat, is that a fair summation of of coupling point path that is too steep?

If I work on a little more of a toe down position at hip high parallel and a mini tumble it's better but wondered if anything else would work well.

From my past attempts at a TGM type action in an attempt to hold onto a FLW I wasn't actually squaring the face it seems...

Welsh,

I'll take a stab...IMO, If your grip and set up are good (which is probably the case), then a wide open face approaching impact MORE THAN LIKELY has alot to do with your short game transition and an overacceleration of your left shoulder/chest/lead arm. Most likely, your weight has moved quickly to your front leg and your chest has opened too soon.

More than likely, you lack proper clubhead swing through the ball. TRY to swing the clubhead past your hands, slow down your upper body and hit some pitches with your right arm only.

Hope that helps.

Welsh,

I'll take a stab...IMO, If your grip and set up are good (which is probably the case), then a wide open face approaching impact MORE THAN LIKELY has alot to do with your short game transition and an overacceleration of your left shoulder/chest/lead arm. Most likely, your weight has moved quickly to your front leg and your chest has opened too soon.

More than likely, you lack proper clubhead swing through the ball. TRY to swing the clubhead past your hands, slow down your upper body and hit some pitches with your right arm only.

Hope that helps.

Cheers,

Right arm only pitches awesome, had a go at left hand only terrible.

Bang on with the over acceleration, tension can be a killer. Left hand now great, feels like I stay sqaure and send the clubhaed past me.

Right arm only practice, soft arms and elbows, all is good in the world again.

:cool:

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Cheers,

Right arm only pitches awesome, had a go at left hand only terrible.

Bang on with the over acceleration, tension can be a killer. Left hand now great, feels like I stay sqaure and send the clubhaed past me.

Right arm only practice, soft arms and elbows, all is good in the world again.

:cool:

sounds like pop-out and/or a quick over-rolling of the left forearm.

lia41985

TRY to swing the clubhead past your hands, slow down your upper body and hit some pitches with your right arm only.
Come on! Are you advocating a flip!? Noone any good does that...
148v89.jpg

sounds like pop-out and/or a quick over-rolling of the left forearm.

Checked in mirror, slight pop out of left elbow, more on downswing.

Soft elbows, less popout and on downswing delay left shoulder/upperarm = high soft right wrist release pitches.

Looks like I was tugging hard with that left shoulder compex with a takeaway as Jim suggested

Only 10,000 hours and it'll be perfect!!!!!!

Thank you guys

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Also, just to aid...

make sure you stand a bit open and make sure to pivot through the shot and go left. Too many people try to just use all arms and chip right at the target. While for short short chips this will work, longer ones require more swing and more pivot than you think.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
A bit too much chest first going down.

Face is too open going back unless you make sure and make plenty swing for the shot at hand.

A bit too much chest first going down.

Face is too open going back unless you make sure and make plenty swing for the shot at hand.

Thank you Brian,

Appreciate the time to comment...

I though my amateur brain was right with being too open.

Have been hitting it great full swing a with a little twistaway, hold, then new release....

dude -- been there. soft left arm. no tug. stiff, pulling, flipped over left arm leads to a hosel straight into the ball. use a soft, semi bent left arm with an elbow that folds easily after contact.

if this makes any sense, broadcast the club head from your left leg/groin area; the tower stays in the same spot, the signal goes wide. Moving the tower and the signal at the same time is hook and hosel city.

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Well, first off...that isn't a chip, that's a pitch backswing which is a pet peeve of mine. People say they are chipping and thus basically using mostly arms and then make a 30 yard pitch backswing and then decelerate into the ball and all kinds of odd stuff can happen.

Anyway, lets say thats a small pitch swing for you; too much hands/arms in the backswing and too open face and too steep. Clubhead doesn't get "in" enough (due to little chest rotation and all arms) thus your move your chest first move after end of arms/hands backswing (as brian noted) and the club comes in a bit above plane and steep and if you aren't swinging left enough you'll shank it all day.

Try to quite your hands a bit and rotate the chest a bit in the backswing, don't need a ton, just a little to get the club more in. This will allow you to not have to roll the face so open and you can make a similar downswing move at the ball and things will be much better.

Well, first off...that isn't a chip, that's a pitch backswing which is a pet peeve of mine. People say they are chipping and thus basically using mostly arms and then make a 30 yard pitch backswing and then decelerate into the ball and all kinds of odd stuff can happen.

Anyway, lets say thats a small pitch swing for you; too much hands/arms in the backswing and too open face and too steep. Clubhead doesn't get "in" enough (due to little chest rotation and all arms) thus your move your chest first move after end of arms/hands backswing (as brian noted) and the club comes in a bit above plane and steep and if you aren't swinging left enough you'll shank it all day.

Try to quite your hands a bit and rotate the chest a bit in the backswing, don't need a ton, just a little to get the club more in. This will allow you to not have to roll the face so open and you can make a similar downswing move at the ball and things will be much better.

Thanks guys. When things are bad that handsy roll open pop out gets much worse and knowing about the tug coming from rotation back to the ball is really, really helpful.

Sorry Jim, showed this as a short high pitch is my total nemesis, but I think it runs back to my short chips

Hands rotating open, chest tug down

Status
Not open for further replies.