question on high lobs that land and stop.

Status
Not open for further replies.
would like to hear opinions on this shot in regard to weight distribution of the feet.

lets say it is a shot over the bunker and the pin is in the very front and you want to take the risk of landing it close and stopping the ball.

my kids would open the face with a lobe wedge, put the ball to the front foot, perhaps lower the center of the body mass a little, but our confusion is whether it is better to address the set up with more weight on the front leg or more weight on the back leg. also, how many "spin" your wrists to add something to it and how many simply "hold" the wrists?

shine light on us please

Last edited:
Weight on front foot for fwy. Weight on back on fluffy rough. #1 rule never swing the hands at the target ( this will deloft the club ). BM has a good video on types of flop/lob shots at pga.com I believe.

Another issue is how you open the face. Do you do it by gripping with the face open,or do you use your grip/face alignment and rotate your arms/wrists open? Manzella prefers the latter, but both can work.

S

SteveT

I'm a lob wedge magician ... and I keep my weight on my front foot and swing really hard and hope the clubface will just graze the ball on an out-to-in path. Also, NO DIVOT .. just slide the club under the ball by nipping it at the bottom of the swing path. This assumes no tight lie .. obviously. Works for me but I have a steep swing path and use wedges with cranked up shaft lies !!!

"I'm a lob wedge magician ... and I keep my weight on my front foot and swing really hard and hope the clubface will just graze the ball on an out-to-in path."

Anyone else see the contradiction between the first 5 words and the word hope?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
would like to hear opinions on this shot in regard to weight distribution of the feet.

lets say it is a shot over the bunker and the pin is in the very front and you want to take the risk of landing it close and stopping the ball.

my kids would open the face with a lobe wedge, put the ball to the front foot, perhaps lower the center of the body mass a little, but our confusion is whether it is better to address the set up with more weight on the front leg or more weight on the back leg. also, how many "spin" your wrists to add something to it and how many simply "hold" the wrists?

shine light on us please

Good players add wrists to the shot at impact while inexperienced "floppers" hold them still. Weight distribution depends on the lie.

Fluffy lie = weight back, slower rythym
Tight lie = weight centered or forward, more impact speed

S

SteveT

Good players add wrists to the shot at impact while inexperienced "floppers" hold them still. Weight distribution depends on the lie.

Fluffy lie = weight back, slower rythym
Tight lie = weight centered or forward, more impact speed

Surely the steepness and direction of the swing path strongly influences the swing action ... :confused:

thank you people, very helpful, really give us a good understanding,,can't wait to try the different setups,,,next week when visiting florida for a week.

often in junior tournaments we simply don't have the time to do a practice round, therefore, many shots were chosen more with distance in mind and less with risk/reward in mind. so my kids have to deal with this shot more often than not.

it will be sweet to be able to save par more often with such situations.

thank you again and have a great holiday season.

I would love to see some Track Man numbers on that one. I don't know Kevin, look where the ball lands. Still took some kahunas to stand there.

Status
Not open for further replies.