Question on Range of Motion of Leading wrist during and after Release

Status
Not open for further replies.
Greetings,

With the current craze on Release, there are a lot to digest and experiment. For me it is more like mental gymnastics since I don't play.

One issue is not clear to me, actually even prior to this Release. How does the leading wrist roll over or bend over or flip or twist or flick during and after this Release?

I have taken the liberty of demonstrating 2 extremes in front of a video cam. The former is one that the leading wrist eventually comes to a wrist extension. The latter, a wrist flexion. Imagine there are other angles in between.

Is the most ideal form a full wrist extension according to the current Release thinking?

Is so, why?

If not, why?

(what role does neutral vs strong grip play in this?)

Motion of Leading wrist in Golf Release: this or that? - YouTube

The wrist does whatever the clubhead makes it do when it comes slamming past your hands. The release is simply the act of timing the "cracking the whip", giving the handle the torques required to give that clubhead more gas than any amount of brute force strength could. It would be wise to simply forget about "swinging the handle" and instead remember the thing you want to make move fast is the clubhead. To get the clubhead to move fast you use not only the weight of the clubhead and allow gravity to do your work, but also figure how to get the butt end of the grip to go from pointing at the target to away from the target quickly and efficiently. This WILL require some hand and forearm strength. Whatever your wrists do is what they are going to do. The action is a freewheel after once that clubhead gets the gas, you're just holding onto the handle.

Per your video, definitely NOT the second demonstration.

Last edited:
The wrist does whatever the clubhead makes it do when it comes slamming past your hands. The release is simply the act of timing the "cracking the whip", giving the handle the torques required to give that clubhead more gas than any amount of brute force strength could. It would be wise to simply forget about "swinging the handle" and instead remember the thing you want to make move fast is the clubhead. To get the clubhead to move fast you use not only the weight of the clubhead and allow gravity to do your work, but also figure how to get the butt end of the grip to go from pointing at the target to away from the target quickly and efficiently. This WILL require some hand and forearm strength. Whatever your wrists do is what they are going to do. The action is a freewheel after once that clubhead gets the gas, you're just holding onto the handle.

Per your video, definitely NOT the second demonstration.

thank you dscchultz,,,but "whatever"?

I tend to agree with you that it should not be the second demo, but guess what, i have seen students train like that to release...

I think a more deliberate understanding of this component may be helpful to some,,,,like me.

"The road to the eventual un-fuzzing of his head is going to be a slow and difficult one. In fact, I think it is really an unattainable goal, because he is protecting and nurturing his ignorance with a dedication comparable to a Medieval quest for the Holy Grail." -- van Soelen

hp12c

New
Ah my old friend, wrist extension radial deviation and pronation= high slice, not nice! What to do, what to do, I do the the latter wrist flexion, ulnar deviation and supination= better ball.

Ah my old friend, wrist extension radial deviation and pronation= high slice, not nice! What to do, what to do, I do the the latter wrist flexion, ulnar deviation and supination= better ball.

I have seen videos that shows a good way of doing it. Are those videos are right?
Just search on youtube you'll find many of them.

ahhh, sensei, spoken with the wisdom of an anatomical god.

REMAIN CONFUSED.

NOT a full roll with arch.

I wonder if these 2 demos are related to the Release vs the Delayed Release...

With Release, as recommended on this forum, I can picture the leading wrist eventually bends like the first demo.

With Delayed Release, or dragging if you will, I can see the leading wrist being pushed or pulled down the line so that the leading wrist may "break" and fold into flexion, as seen in the second demo.

Status
Not open for further replies.