Questions on Aiming Point

Status
Not open for further replies.
Having watched Brian's Confessor video, I understand the rationale for Aiming Point, it's the actual application of it that I struggle with. My 2 questions are:
1)I know that aiming point is on the target side of your lead foot (i.e. for a right hander it would be left of your left foot) but where does it appear in relation to the distance between your foot and the target line, does it appear to be on the target line while over the ball? or a couple inches from your baby toe?

2)Does it typically change from long clubs to short clubs?

Thanks.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Watch it again...

Two differnet things:

Aiming Point

Impact Hand Location​

The latter can subsitute for the former.

It is really as simple as this:

Where on the ground are you trying to direct the force from your hands. Move this spot around until it works for YOU!

Aiming point confusion

Brian:

I guess I'm confused. I thought that impact hands and aiming point were the same. Would aiming point be where you are trying to direct your hands along the target line and impact hands their actual location?

If I get your point in your answer, you should aim the force from your hands to different points until your are getting ultimate compression.

brian:
wouldn't the spot on the ground you aim your hands be determined by how much shaft lean or lag you put onto the club?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Brian:

I guess I'm confused. I thought that impact hands and aiming point were the same. Would aiming point be where you are trying to direct your hands along the target line and impact hands their actual location?

If I get your point in your answer, you should aim the force from your hands to different points until your are getting ultimate compression.

Aiming point as homer wanted it was where you were either aiming (swinging) or thrusting (hitting) your lag pressure point.

Impact hand location is simply that, where you see your hands at impact. Now that might be over your left foot for a wedge but your "aiming point" might be before that.

Each is different and you'll get better results from the "impact hand location" way than you will with aiming point in most cases; i feel anyway.

that's the way i teach it in all my lessons and i haven't had a student complain yet ;)

rft

New
I'm new to the term aiming point. Having just started reading Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone and trying to get the aiming point four inches in front of the ball, I've got a question. Where is the aiming point on a shot with an uphill lie? Thank you for your help.

I'm new to the term aiming point. Having just started reading Bobby Clampett's Impact Zone and trying to get the aiming point four inches in front of the ball, I've got a question. Where is the aiming point on a shot with an uphill lie? Thank you for your help.

The aiming point isn't necessarily 4 inches in front of the ball. Low Point is what is described as 4 inches in front of the ball. One might say it is a bit confusing, but if you read carefully you will see you are trying to get an aiming point so that low point is 4 inches in front of the ball.

Aiming point will vary between players and between clubs for a player.

Status
Not open for further replies.