Quick look at a swing

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian, my nephew wanted me to take a look at his swing, he is struggling to get some play time on his high school team. Would you change his backswing? It's way too flat in my opinion. His miss is big blocks to the right. Any quick suggestions? I would love him to get a live lesson, when is the next time your coming to Michigan?

Apr 12, 2014 - YouTube

Wow, you got that right. That clubhead is WAY inside (the hands) by the time it's parallel to the ground in the backswing. I like it a little outside of them... It is a power leak for sure IMO because he is swinging around gravity instead of with gravity.

You have to kind of look at where the club would try and fall if you let go with your hands. This club would fall behind/inside and away from the ball at virtually every point in the swing so his entire swing has to fight that from happening.

Pete Cowen has a pretty good youtube video that explains the concept I'm referring to around the 2:00 - 3:00 mark.

Pete Cowen - YouTube

If I broke rules, delete this, I do apologize....

He is in the middle of their golf season and they are starting matches so I am looking for a way to get him by without rebuilding until after the season. I don't teach for a living but I do help people out when they ask for some help. I really don't know how to help this swing without making huge changes and we all know that making huge changes takes time to ingrain. The only swing that I can think of that slightly compares to it is Kuchar's, how does he make that ugly as sin swing work? I have never studied it because it repulses me.

Start with more tumble. Then see what kind of ball flight he gets and adjust anything else accordingly.

He is in the middle of their golf season and they are starting matches so I am looking for a way to get him by without rebuilding until after the season. I don't teach for a living but I do help people out when they ask for some help. I really don't know how to help this swing without making huge changes and we all know that making huge changes takes time to ingrain. The only swing that I can think of that slightly compares to it is Kuchar's, how does he make that ugly as sin swing work? I have never studied it because it repulses me.

In short he pivots around his left leg, uses a steeper shoulder and hip turn coupled with a flat backswing and a full body release.

How To Make Your Swing Repeat: Matt Kuchar : Golf Digest

That is the first thing I did tell him was to lift his arms but I couldn't get him to do it in a real time swing. I like the "show your arm pits" swing thought, I will try that.

Brian do you have a Michigan stop planned this year?

Didn't think of that one either is that the one with two balls and you miss the first and have to hit the one way up front and slightly left?

Just chiming in with my own "anti-under" thoughts and drills that I have used in the past:

Have him take a wedge and a really forward ball position and hit some shots. Nevermind the urge to handle-drag - just keep the head steady and carry the hands left and high through the shot.

Another thing you can do is have him shift his weight to the right leg super early in the takeaway. This will force lifting. It's usually best to make someone do something else to obtain a goal than to get the goal directly. The brian works better just trying to do that different thing. IMO, anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.