Raising up drill

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have always had a slight issue of raising up on the backswing and today on the range i asked a better player if he knew anyway to stop this.

He had me stick a golf ball under my right heel and it worked like magic i didnt raise up an inch on the backswing but i felt like i got lower and was applying pressure with my right foot down into the ground.
Is that a correct feel to have at the top?

Also if it is what do you do from there? Feels like you could release that pressure and almost jump if you wanted to or you could just keep the pressure and kinda slide and turn

No but i had to use this new uncomfortable backswing feel.. Feels like i am getting shorter on the backswing now and i dont know how to transition from the top now.
Maybe this is the correct way to load up no? Just still trying to solve my early extension

How is raising up related to the early extension? This guy seems to raise up in his backswing.

For me--I used to raise up or stand up into impact to fit the club in which I think is very similar to the early extension--figuring out how to move the club in a better way with a better handpath has helped immensely.

FO view would be more telling I believe.

Maybe, but I'm still trying to figure out how standing up in the backswing is related to early extension in the downswing. Hope it doesn't sound like I'm trying to quiz pokerlife, I just don't see the relationship. It seems that standing up in the backswing would necessitate going back down just to get to the ball. If so, then the early extension wouldn't be helpful in hitting the ball.

coach

New
Old swing of Brian Gay, before working with Mayo and Waite, been said one of the things they worked with him on was early extension. Would like to see a new swing of his to see what work they did, to increase his distance.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Not to put a negative spin, I just have a feeling there isn't a drill or quick feel that will cure this for poker life. He likely has some serious sequencing issues as well as positioning issues. He's taken a ton of swings this way and I believe it would be quite a process for him to see change.

Good point Kevin.
Im just going to work on hitting it as solid as possible and trying to score. Maybe start some yoga and see if that helps.

I think sequencing is maybe the most important issue and would help with increasing distance. Also, watching the Brian Gay video notice how far away his hands get from his body in the downswing. I'm thinking that is a big contributor to the early extension, too.

Remember what Brian said

Here's a look at what my swing looked like back when I used to early extend a ton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xWeYkTu3kCw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hyRRQDC72d4

The quick solution is to shove your butt back through the tush line during the backswing and transition. Brian recently recommended that Lindsay Gahm do that 1:30 into this new video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TbGH4nzMB3s

One important thing to note: thrusting the hips toward the ball (or "early extension") is possibly the single most shallowing move you can possibly make. So if you stop thrusting the hips, you must add some other shallowing move to neutralize your impacts.

Vertical hand path (rather than horizontal) is the best replacement candidate I can think of. Can anyone think of others?

Mr. Nicklaus is, but probably more due to age and physical limitations.

What would happen if Barnes early extended here?

There's no way he could and hit the ball. Get the inside of the right elbow on the right hip and the hands in close to the body. It's a complete change on the forces acting on the club and therefore on the body, which I think makes the lower body become more stable. Swinging the arms and club out away from the body makes the body "back away" or early extend to counter act the weight of the swinging masses of the arms and club.

For those thinking it, I'm not saying swing the club and the body pivot will react all on its own. But, I think it sure will complement a proper pivot a hell of alot more.

Get the inside of the right elbow on the right hip and the hands in close to the body. It's a complete change on the forces acting on the club and therefore on the body, which I think makes the lower body become more stable. Swinging the arms and club out away from the body makes the body "back away" or early extend to counter act the weight of the swinging masses of the arms and club.

A few years ago, I found that trying to shove my hands down and behind me was very effective at achieving a vertical hand path. However, a word of caution: for some players, this might encourage getting the right elbow too far stuck behind the right hip. Never happened to me but I know that that's a pitfall for some.

A few years ago, I found that trying to shove my hands down and behind me was very effective at achieving a vertical hand path. However, a word of caution: for some players, this might encourage getting the right elbow too far stuck behind the right hip. Never happened to me but I know that that's a pitfall for some.

Possibly, but the right elbow is only half the story. Re-watch Brian's last video about what the left hand/arm does. I think the elusive tumble will prevent getting the right elbow stuck and will only encourage the bent right elbow into impact.

Possibly, but the right elbow is only half the story. Re-watch Brian's last video about what the left hand/arm does. I think the elusive tumble will prevent getting the right elbow stuck and will only encourage the bent right elbow into impact.

Could be! The tumble is by far my favorite concept that I've learned about on this forum!

Status
Not open for further replies.