ramifications of a swing plane (VSP) that's too steep

Status
Not open for further replies.
all things equal, and assuming all the other TM numbers looked fine, would a too steep VSP be more of a problem with shorter clubs (wedges) or longer clubs (driver and woods)? i play with a swing that's steeper than most, and my worry is that the room for error (for solid ball-ground contact) with half and full swing wedge shots is compromised somewhat.

but mainly i'm just trying to understand the concept a bit better.

thanks!

Well, if ALL the other numbers looked fine and consistent, I would say that trying to change your VSP just to suit certain expectations may lead to wrecking some of those other numbers.

The golf ball doesn't know what VSP it was hit with, just the Path.

Well, ideal in terms of controlling the Path, perhaps, but definitely not ideal in terms of the human biomechanics to produce that VSP, I'm sure.

I know you know this Wulsy, but don't want people thinking that the steeper the VSP, the better...

Erik_K

New
All things being equal, I think you'd rather NOT have a steep path with the longer clubs. Why? I think most Tour players hit slightly down (with the driver) and maybe the trend will be (eventually) to hit up. I think it's problematic to hit up and have a steep VSP.

But I post less and less on this forum because I am wrong 95% (and I suck at golf, but that's neither here nor there) of the time and it seems that Brian is uncovering new findings by the hour. For all I know it's totally fine to be super steep and hit solid drives.

For what it's worth, I have a 58 deg VSP with the driver and am probably the worst driver of the ball on this Forum (so I got that going for me).

I don't drive it well and my drives look like Tour quality 5 irons.

Don't copy me.

Erik

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.