Rangefinder vs GPS

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey everyone, been gone for a long time but that's what happens when you have snow. Anyways, my son will be getting into some tourneys this year and they allow devices to measure distance. Looking for something to utilize both on the course and off. Any suggestions? Thanks,

Curtis

I have owned and used both.

GPS
- Better for knowing exact carry distance for hazards, front & back of green etc. Laser is difficult to use in this matter
- Better for knowing distances for blind shots, doglegs (carrying the corner, distance for through the fairway)
- Probably better for playing new courses (provides more indepth info at a glance)

Laser
- Great for practice. Can place targets at specific distances (60, 70, 80 yards etc). Do this all the time to work on short game
- In my experience easier/simpler to use (no downloads). New lasers are much better at target acquistion than early models.
- Always know the exact distance to the flag

In the end, I kept my laser (Leupold, non slope measuring model so legal for tourney use). The big seller for me was the usefulness of it in practice. I also find that many of my playing partners, while they own a GPS, often get me to just laser the flag for them if we are standing beside each other (i.e. Par 3s) and rarely pull out their GPS, especially on courses they are familiar with.

Jay

I am with Jay here. I've got a Bushnell and a GPS (only non comp as it is using my iPhone). I generally prefer the laser as I 'see' the point I am targeting. With the GPS you never really know how far the flag is. If you have detailed info on the pin placement it probably doesn't matter. But as Jay said you don't know how far to the front or the back of the green. So if you can't see where the flag is on the green ou can end up too long or short when they are at the back/front of the green.

Bushnell has a combined product. Maybe that's the answer (if you don't mind spending that much)

I use both and its allowed under the rules. Don't use your iPhone. It could cause you to get disqualified because of the compass.

Status
Not open for further replies.