Ray's turn with Hank

Status
Not open for further replies.

SJO

New
Ray Romano gets his turn with Hank on the Haney project. I hope he succeeds to be honest because it could be embarrassing tv otherwise. There is no "hitch" to get rid of though so they can probably fake some of it.

Anyway I'm sure Hank will sort Ray out, after all, he is the 2nd best coach in the world.....right?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
he will succeed more with ray because he is a better golfer than Charles; any teacher will tell you that it is easier to teach better golfers than it is the bad golfers. It's more of a challenge to take someone who really isn't any good and get them to play/hit/etc better than it is to take someone who already has some ability and just "tweak them."

greenfree

Banned
he will succeed more with ray because he is a better golfer than Charles; any teacher will tell you that it is easier to teach better golfers than it is the bad golfers. It's more of a challenge to take someone who really isn't any good and get them to play/hit/etc better than it is to take someone who already has some ability and just "tweak them."

Actually a " TEACHER" took a better golfer than Ray, and tweaked him, before Haney tried, that player is Charles Barkley. I guess it was easier.

I would rather see a show staring David Duval or some other guy that was decent that lost their mustard. Have them go to a guru or a series of gurus to improve their swing.

I always thought it easier to take a 30 handicap and get them to a 20, than say take a 7 and get them say to a 2.

I know as a 7, having worked my butt off I am not getting better, but working with some of my friends who are 30's I have been able to really get them to make solid contact most of the time and now they can shoot in the 90's half the time.

I have to agree with Jim. I don't teach golf, but the experience of trying to get my best friend to hold the club correctly gave me a new appreciation of the difficulty of teaching the lesser-skilled golfer. It took me 20 minutes just to get him to leave the grip under the left heel pad.

"Like this?"
"Jesus, dude, it's not a frying pan."

Half an hour later:

"How about this?"
"Meh, good enough."

I have to agree with Jim. I don't teach golf, but the experience of trying to get my best friend to hold the club correctly gave me a new appreciation of the difficulty of teaching the lesser-skilled golfer. It took me 20 minutes just to get him to leave the grip under the left heel pad.

"Like this?"
"Jesus, dude, it's not a frying pan."

Half an hour later:

"How about this?"
"Meh, good enough."

Same experience here working with a buddy from work. Great potential, but for all my efforts, he isn't convinced to fix his grip. When he does fix it (or, rather, I convince him to try it differently), he hits it great. Then his grip gets loose, messy, and he wonders why the club starts flailing all over the place. The GRIP is perhaps one of the hardest elements to teach and get someone to change.

I have to constantly look at my grip and make sure I am not subconsciously shifting it. Recently found my left thumb had crept back to the long position (a bad thing for my flexible wrists). Pulling it back is now a conscious action.

Same experience here working with a buddy from work. Great potential, but for all my efforts, he isn't convinced to fix his grip. When he does fix it (or, rather, I convince him to try it differently), he hits it great. Then his grip gets loose, messy, and he wonders why the club starts flailing all over the place. The GRIP is perhaps one of the hardest elements to teach and get someone to change.

I have to constantly look at my grip and make sure I am not subconsciously shifting it. Recently found my left thumb had crept back to the long position (a bad thing for my flexible wrists). Pulling it back is now a conscious action.

what I see is any advice I give has no merit unless they see an instant result, problem is there are so many compensations going on that once you get that sorted out you can actually get to the real problem (not that I am a teacher but I try to help some broke higher handicap twenty somethings).

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I always thought it easier to take a 30 handicap and get them to a 20, than say take a 7 and get them say to a 2.

I know as a 7, having worked my butt off I am not getting better, but working with some of my friends who are 30's I have been able to really get them to make solid contact most of the time and now they can shoot in the 90's half the time.

Not necessarily saying it's easier to get them to drop their handicap from 7 to 2 because a lot of that is course management, shot selection, putting and short game.

I just mean in general to get them to make changes faster and produce better results initially and faster when hitting the ball say more accurately, longer, certain shot shape, maybe fix a case of the fats or reverse pivot, etc

gmbtempe, are you going to be on The Haney Project also? And by the way, I would hate to be one of your neighbors. I hope you have insurance.

gmbtempe, are you going to be on The Haney Project also? And by the way, I would hate to be one of your neighbors. I hope you have insurance.

lol, I am not a big enough star, even in my own mind.

I aint much of a Haney fan but heck all that free instruction, maybe he could help me out.

My neighbors all are golfers and I tape their swings in my front yard......that being said it was a soft foam golf ball. My son is there to shag them. Works pretty good ( :

Status
Not open for further replies.