Relationship between Angle of Attack, HSP, and clubpath.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I recently purchased a Flightscope and am confused on something.. Can someone explain why a clubpath number would be different from the calculation of the HSP number + or - the AA? Shouldn't that be an exact equation everytime?

dbl

New
Let me say I don't know that much about the terms, and would refer you to Trackman's newsltters. Like the following one:
http://www.trackman.dk/download/newsletter/newsletter7.pdf

But I was going to say TM went through and updated their terms at one point, and I would have said that CP is the new term for HSP, and AoA's contribution to CP is only related to about half the angle since a club's angle (or swing plane - whatever that is) isn't that far from 45 degrees. But perhaps I am wrong and a bit unclear on what you mean.

Last edited:
I recently purchased a Flightscope and am confused on something.. Can someone explain why a clubpath number would be different from the calculation of the HSP number + or - the AA? Shouldn't that be an exact equation everytime?

Think of a typical plane board resting on the ground, and the clubhead swinging on that plane.

The direction of the baseline (where the bottom edge points to) is the HSP. The angle up from the ground to the plywood is the VSP.

Think about an extreme case where the plywood is only 10 degrees up from the ground and you are looking at it from the typical DTL view. In other words, shallow as hell.

Well, as the clubhead goes down the plane board, it's going way more laterally than vertically. That's why the shallower the VSP, the more the club path/true path/CP is way more to the right than the baseline (HSP) is pointing.

So shallow/small VSP's and high AoA's (postitive or negative) make the true path/CP a lot different than the the HSP.

When the clubhead bottoms out (zero AoA) the clubhead, for that brief moment, must be going the same direction as the bottom edge of the board (HSP), regardless of how much you tilt the plane board from the ground. I.E. at zero AoA, CP equals HSP, regardless of VSP.

Overall:

CP = HSP - AoA x [tan(90-VSP)]

After sleeping on it I remembered that the lower the VSP the more the AA effects the CP.
Thank you for your responses.

Three days of d-plane getting drummed into us and you forgot?? lol Just kidding! Hope your well and getting some use of the machine. Getting cold out there?? Did you get a new driver yet?

Starting to get cold.. Still have a couple of die hard students wanting the outdoor lesson. With the indoor studio / Flightscope fully
operational its not too tough of a sell to get guys inside. Hope youre well Steve.

Savydan.. yo da man; I like that explanation, Ill never RicK Perry this equation again.

Status
Not open for further replies.