Release - is the "line-up" an anti-hook move?

Status
Not open for further replies.
it felt like it on the range today.

I've been working on a full turn and out-toss up 'til now, with some nice results but definitely a hooky ball-flight.

I first tried to straighten this out by trying for "left palm on the wall" on the follow through - but this was very patchy.

Today I focussed more on lining the club up from left arm parallel and got some really nice, controlled fades for my trouble.

I'm a happy bunny - but would like to know whether this is how I should expect the "line-up" to work - or whether I've just introduced another compensation that will lead me into trouble down the road.

Could be. If you line it up so early that you alter the path left (if you're righty) and up by impact you can hit fades. Many slicers line up so early that it causes their slice.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Lining the club up at impact is an anti everything move. It has no directional bias. It totally depends on what you did before. As a "pressure drag then saver" as myself, getting a better line up makes it easier to turn it over because the drag made me fear the rights. Thus, I've built in kind of a strongish grip and some roll that is still there sometimes. Once I rid myself of that totally itwill straighten out flight.

For me, the less turn = less chance of hooking. But I like the feeling of the fuller turn so when I want to go with a little soft fade I just sprinkle a little carry in before the out toss.

The only thing an correctly performed lineup does for me is improve the quality of contact.

Thanks all.

The remedy for a too-early line up would be...? More slack/less tug?

How does carry relate to tug? Is this one of those "red wine" situations, where a glass a night staves off heart disease but a bottle a night pickles your liver?

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Good question and for me carry is a move that needs monitoring. Be careful with too much carry. I feel like a carry the clubhead only...right down to impact.

Kevin - "carry the clubhead only" - is that another way of saying that you want to feel the clubhead on the target-line side, or outside of the hands?

Hooks with line up.... when my roll disappears, my hooks disappear.

"Bendnotroll, bendnotroll" is my favorite muttering on the course these days. :)

Birly,

I for one have been a big roller into the ball in the past. I would hit some beautiful draws, but also some massive, devastating hooks, especially off the tee. What I've found with the "line-up, bend-back" move is that it takes out the extreme curvature of the ball, either way. To work it, it seems more about where you out-toss. So, I'm still hitting a draw, but it's curving less, and it's way more predictable. But, I toss it more behind me on purpose, and let the wrist bend a lot through impact. If anything, my grip is a little stronger than it was when I was rolling as well, and I still hook it less.

Good question and for me carry is a move that needs monitoring. Be careful with too much carry. I feel like a carry the clubhead only...right down to impact.

Kev.....another carry question:

I am someone who always overdid the carry when/if I tried it. Can carry also be equated a little to the direction of your out-toss in light of the new release? I.E., if you're a right-handed golfer, toss it a little more out toward the ball/target line as opposed to straight back away from you, or back behind you?

finncox & mgranato - I'm coming to this from a NSA/weak grip and roll.

I've strengthened my grip too - and my guess is that the line-up, especially letting the shaft pass the hands and letting the left wrist bend through impact, helps take out the roll. More so, if you visualise the line-up happening in a more vertical plane - the right hand and arm working down around the coupling point and the left hand and arm moving up.

Making sense?

Last edited:

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Finn, if I get ur question, I wouldn't toss it out toward the target line AND carry. Unless you want to hit yourself in the left leg :)

Finn, if I get ur question, I wouldn't toss it out toward the target line AND carry. Unless you want to hit yourself in the left leg :)

Kevin,

Yeah, that sounds like it would hurt. I didn't convey it very well, but what I meant was using the slight target-line out-toss AS the carry. This would be in lieu of any kind of significant shoulder move outward to the target line. I have always tended to exaggerate the carry, coming OTT and doing some weird stuff when I'm trying to hit a baby fade as opposed to my normal draw. For some reason I can't monitor/time the shoulder movement very well or consistently, so I was looking for an alternative.

finncox & mgranato - I'm coming to this from a NSA/weak grip and roll.

I've strengthened my grip too - and my guess is that the line-up, especially letting the shaft pass the hands and letting the left wrist bend through impact, helps take out the roll. More so, if you visualise the line-up happening in a more vertical plane - the right hand and arm working down around the coupling point and the left hand and arm moving up.

Making sense?

Absolutely. When I'm doing it well, i almost feel as of my left palm points a little away from me out to right field, on it's way to being "palm on the wall." Also, my wrist, as you alluded to, feels more like it's bending up versus on plane. It doesn't really happen this way, but that's the feel in contrast to the extreme roll I was doing before.

Anyone else noticing pull cuts? My miss has been a low pull cut not a shot I was really familiar with, but a much more manageable miss than my normal hook off the planet.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Kevin,

Yeah, that sounds like it would hurt. I didn't convey it very well, but what I meant was using the slight target-line out-toss AS the carry. This would be in lieu of any kind of significant shoulder move outward to the target line. I have always tended to exaggerate the carry, coming OTT and doing some weird stuff when I'm trying to hit a baby fade as opposed to my normal draw. For some reason I can't monitor/time the shoulder movement very well or consistently, so I was looking for an alternative.

Yes, and it frees you up for a free wheelin release and better hand path that a normal,carry sometimes will not

Is it possible to "over line-up?" I feel that sometimes the line up gets over-done and my right hand pushes into the left hand, which forms that unnatural cramped, blocky left arm. Then to get round that my right hand rolls and I hook the living daylights out of it.
Please feel free to slaughter me if I'm talking 'ollocks, but that is where I feel some hooks could come from.

Status
Not open for further replies.