Reviewing my Lesson with Brian.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll try to keep this brief...I highly recommend working with Brian if you get the opportunity or if you are thinking of it.

I was in New Orleans recently traveling down from the Twin Cities...so you know I haven't played in a few months. This summer I got down to a 2.2 index partly because I play some pretty tough courses in the 135-150 slope rating range.

First off, Brian was very gracious to accomodate my timeline...and the weather was less than the best..mid 40's. For those of you who haven't had the opportunity to work with Brian, he is very passionate about what he does and provides a wealth of information as he works with you. After watching me swing and having me perform a few shots, he figured out pretty quickly where my issues were...at impact and my follow through, which may not surprise many of you. Anyway this was tough for me to change in the few hours we had and it felt very strange but I did make progress. We worked with a few different clubs like the sand wedge, 7 iron and driver. How I could tell from ball flight that I was making progress was, anything left was probably a breakdown at least until I get the hitting motion and follow through working right. Anything to the right was probably a good result and anything down the middle was very good. I believe I ended up making good progress on the sand wedge, controlling distance and direction, good progress with the 7 iron and was going to have to work a little more with the driver.

The next day I had a group set up for play but all canceled due to one thing or another...didn't stop me though, especially since I got to hit for the first time in months and a chance to work on my game. I picked up a playing partner on the front nine at Audobon Park who said he was a member at some "Pelican" course but played the back by myself, hitting 2 or 3 balls for every shot. By the way, very inexpensive and highly maintained...what a treat. It's a little short but I wanted to work on my 150 and in shots, so this was perfect.

These are a few of the results that I experienced as I made my way around the course.

1. 300- yard drive down the middle with the second shot hitting the pin and stopping 6" from the hole.
2. Hit 2 five irons into the wind at 187 to the back of the green within 12 feet of each other.
3. Hit 2 PW's and a 9 iron at 137 with a slight downwind breeze within 15' of each other.
4. Hit a 7 iron on a par 3 165 to the back of the green and decided to try the 8 iron even though the distance is a little out of my 8 iron range...hit it further and off the back of the green..right over the flag.
I hit some other really good shots and then of course I hit some really bad shots but overall I felt I had made huge progress.

After the lesson I went back to my hotel and jotted down the key points and reminders that he provided so that I could refer to them during my practice sessions and they are working well. Fortunately for me there are areas to practice here and I have already been working on my hitting position and corrected path.

When I get the chance I will work with Brian again.
Most constructive lesson I ever had,
Fogger.

Brain, could you please tell us what you instructed fogger, in regards to impact and follow through? I learn a lot from the really effective language you use in your explanations. :)

I keep sending emails to The Golf Channel requesting a show about TGM and even gave them Brian's name, Chuck, Lynn etc. No response--what a surprise. I guess we need to see Dean Reinmuth for the 1 millionth time. Oh well, I'll keep trying! Dr Dave

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I hate 'fudged' swivels.

By fudged, I mean swivels with very bent left wrists.

I would even like Lynn Blake to do this more to my liking, but, obviously, he has a great move nonetheless.

So...I like getting people to swivel with a flat left wrist.

When they do....if they have ANY leakage at all....they hit it hard left.

Then they get better impact alignments and follow-through alignments...

because...

THEY HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!!

EdZ

New
Indeed, full 'swivel' with a flat wrist to me feels like my hands are 'on track'.

Brian - have you used the 'pure swing'? I find it is an excellent way to feel 'swivel' and the 'on track' feeling of the hands.

holenone

Banned
quote:Originally posted by brianman

I hate 'fudged' swivels.

By fudged, I mean swivels with very bent left wrists.

I would even like Lynn Blake to do this more to my liking, but, obviously, he has a great move nonetheless.

So...I like getting people to swivel with a flat left wrist.

When they do....if they have ANY leakage at all....they hit it hard left.

Then they get better impact alignments and follow-through alignments...

because...

THEY HAVE TO!!!!!!!!!!!

Great stuff, Brian, and I mean it, great stuff.

And I'm continuing to work on my 'Leakage' move. My first professional lesson was at age 17 with George Preisinger at the old Marietta Country Club in Marietta, Georgia. His daughter, Carol, is now a Golf Magazine Top 50 Instructor at the now-renamed same club. Anyway, he got me to keep that Left Wrist Flat and turn it to the ground through Impact. And believe me -- you are very right -- any leakage' -- and maybe even without any but with an extra good Swivel -- and I was 'Fore Left!'

Along the way, I learned that a Swivel Action was not a Hinge Action, but neither was a Bent Left Wrist an acceptable substitute for a good Finish Swivel. The good news is that I don't hit 'rope hooks' any more, but I'm still trying to get it right. I'm only 58, so I've got a few more years yet!

Meanwhile, I'm resigning myself -- somewhat -- to the Retief Goosen look through Impact, especially when I Swing. I'm not quite as bad, but I still don't like it...

But at least my Left Arm is straight!

quote:Anyway, he got me to keep that Left Wrist Flat and turn it to the ground through Impact. And believe me -- you are very right -- any leakage' -- and maybe even without any but with an extra good Swivel -- and I was 'Fore Left!'

I can testify to the fore left. Brian has me doing the swivel now with my flat left wrist turning to the ground at impact and boy is it odd. I can defenitly see the increased power and lower trajectory.

Since my report, my practice sessions have gone from "this is really difficult" to "I can hit the wedge or 7 iron right where I want. For me the key is hitting down with good solid contact on whatever surface I'm practicing from...it really helps me with the move. Since I can hit down with any of my clubs except the driver, it makes the driver a bit more of a challenge for me, so I focus on the inside quadrant of the ball and it seems to help. After hitting my last 3 drivers straight down the middle today, I deemed it a good practice session. Actually, a gentleman arrived at the stall beside me and proclaimed that I looked like I was at midseason form. So, I'm making some good progress.

Status
Not open for further replies.