RH golfer wearing out grip on LEFT Thumb area

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I first stated playing it use to happen to me. I was told to put my thumb pad more on top of shaft . I dont do it anymore.........hope this was helpfull (wear out the glove)

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Again....the REAL answer....

If the clubshaft moves in-line with the left arm—in the direction we commonly refer to as UNCOCKING—but does this "lining up" at a rate faster than the left wrist can un-cock, or alternatively, PAST THE POINT where the left wrist can uncock, and your thumb pad is anywhere near on the grip....

You get, "wear-out," right there.

left thumb area on grip

So this means the left thumb should be more on the aft side of the grip in an orthodox, neutral grip?

So to fix the root cause would be...

Question: Why is the golfer not able to time the "linning up" part?
Answer: ? Because the pivot has transported the power package past the "linning up point". ?

I played golf for nearly 20 years, even playing D-I college golf without a glove. Recently I've gone to using a glove because my left thumb gets blisters if I don't. The only change I've made is that I made my grip more neutral with the thumb down the middle of the shaft. Before it was a pretty strong grip with the left thumb down the aft side of the shaft. So that *might* be your problem.

3JACK

The part of the grip that is worn out is on the aft side of the grip where a strong left hand grip would put the thumb.

I get the wear in the l. thumb too. I always cut it off...rest of glove like new!

Trevino said he gets it I think.

Do you have "curved" thumbs?

Mine are not curved. So...maybe it also has to do with loading at the top? (for someone without tons of angle, the thumb stops the club more abruptly?)

Actually the wear mark on the grip is slightly right of the center (or top) depending on what you call this part of the grip, not exactly the aft part.

Status
Not open for further replies.