Right sided swing

Status
Not open for further replies.

joep

New
How do you teachers feel about a right sided swing. I see there are a few pros on tour using it. Do you feel that there are certain students that would need that kind of swing, thanks

hp12c

New
How do you teachers feel about a right sided swing. I see there are a few pros on tour using it. Do you feel that there are certain students that would need that kind of swing, thanks

Right sided swing? who is using it on tour?

Wow, haven't heard of that one in a while. The first time I heard of it was years ago on TGC from an Aussie teacher who coined the term. Don't recall his name, but he was working with Peter Lonard and Rod Pampling at the time.

The two biggest requirements for the method seem to be an accent and massive forearms. :)

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
Any method that uses still photographs and 2D video as the primary source and foundation of their beliefs are simply guessing.

This is why Brian, his instructors and staff work very hard to make sure any information presented as fact is backed up 100% by current scientific research and real world, live lesson results.

A lot of stuff "can" work, we want to know why and what science says is true or myth.

aaron baddely was doing a lot of right arm only swings with his coach a few weeks back, I saw it on "on the range" on the golf channel.

joep

New
From a right sided swing site of gary edwin, gavin coles (candian open) (true south clasic)..peter senior (3m open) ,rod pampling (wyndom championship) ,rebecca artis (lady british masters) t9. I`m just curious about the swing.

Go to youtube and search it. Lots of videos about it. And here is some trivia for you. Gary Edwin's real name is Gary Player. Changed it
For obvious reasons

hp12c

New
Wow, haven't heard of that one in a while. The first time I heard of it was years ago on TGC from an Aussie teacher who coined the term. Don't recall his name, but he was working with Peter Lonard and Rod Pampling at the time.

The two biggest requirements for the method seem to be an accent and massive forearms. :)

Oh crap that leaves me out I have no accent,well a so cal accent and wimpy forearms.;)

My ex coach here in the UK taught me the right side swing. It always felt very restrictive (you feel like you don't really turn). I think the idea was that you have only a few moving parts. I initially improved but then got stuck on a 17 hdc for some time. When I decided to go to a more traditional setup and swing my handicap dropped to 14 in a few month.

michael campbell is a right sider. its quite fashionable with a number of uk teaching pros at the moment. They mainly work on body shape at address and then maintaining it throughout the swing.

hp12c

New
michael campbell is a right sider. its quite fashionable with a number of uk teaching pros at the moment. They mainly work on body shape at address and then maintaining it throughout the swing.

Bod shape at adress and maintain through the swing? Is that possible?:confused:

I thought 'right sided' swing was what the Golfing Machine described as hitting rather than swinging. Sometimes concentrating on my right side helps me. All these years of pivot, swinging, turning, etc. sometimes gets me out of whack and I end up with a pivot that causes my right hand to come off the club. Obviously both sides need to be in harmony but sometimes concentrating on the backside (my right) helps me keep it up (in sync) with the leadside. Although when I do this enough I get out of whack the other way, ie. I kind of chop and hack at the ball instead of swing through it. My two cents.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
You can focus on either side of your body & arms—or both—in the golf swing.

I prefer neither, but teach folks one or the other every now and then.

There is actually NO SUCH THING as a right-sided or left-sided swing, as both sides will be used nearly equal in a good motion.

If the FEEL or the MOTION of one side or the other works for you, have at it.

I have used a right arm only drill for those who need it, for over 25 years.

Just hold the club in your right hand only (where it would be on the grip normally) and swing slowly. Aim at a line or the front edge of a divot.

No ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.