Rio de Janeiro 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ryan Smither

Super Moderator
Glad to see the Olympic Committee has finally recognized what I learned at the age of 12: Baseball is boring. Golf is fun.

Will be interesting to see the race that begins among developers/ organizations/ designers to build THE Olympic golf course down there in Rio. Thoughts?

I think it would be cool to have an international team of designers, with a good blend of different design philosophies/styles.

The course has to not cater too much to any one style of golf. I hope it turns out to be an eclectic, challenging, well-rounded course. It could serve as a great example of how a course can handle the world's best players without being 8000 yards long, with rough you could lose a shih tzu in.

I hope they don't just give the design job to one person. They need to make an Olympic course design Dream Team.

I'm glad Rio got the Olympics. I was pulling hard for Chi-town not to get it, and having it go to South America was a nice bonus.

Burner

New
I bet.............................

The course will be typically Brazilian - all rough removed. :eek: :eek: ;) :D

Going to be controversial, but I'd rather see it as an amateur event. Would be more in the (probably already scuppered) Olympic spirit for me. I wouldn't want to see this go the same way as the World Cup. And what about the bi-annual Ryder Cup appearance fee debates?

Olympic gold would be the highlight of any amateur career, not just another accolade.

The Olympics in general lost its flair once the iron curtain fell. Without political enemies which excel at sports, the games are just boring. Does the Taliban have a good basketball team? Are there any world class Al Queda golfers?
Heck, exhibition golf lacks drama as it is? Does anybody care about the Presidents cup? If I want drama in exhibition golf, I'll watch "Big Break XXX" on the Golf Channel.

I like The Prez Cup...? Am I the only one?

As for Olympics, maybe non-golfers will appreciate golf more because Olympic Gold Medal means something to non-golfers.

World Championship "Olympic" Overload?

Who knows who won last years Golf World Cup? Who even watches the event? Does anyone really beleive the Olympics will make this a must see event? Does the US Team know that Olympic participants do not get paid to play like the Ryder Cup used to be? Sometimes you can overdo a good thing. Last question.....what made the US Hockey team victory back in I think 1980 so great? Amateurs that nobody really knew doing the impossible. The Olympics would be better if they went back to the time when you rooted for that to happen. I don't really find Tiger Woods beating some guy form Antartica very exciting.

Status
Not open for further replies.