RIP Jim Flick

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Just saw that. Hope I make it to 82. Seemed like a really good guy. Played high school golf with Tom Nieporte, head pro at Winged Foot and father of a close friend. Had nothing but good things to say.

I want to take back my earlier post, should have said, RIP "James". He would have preferred it that way.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
Jim Flick helped set the stage for the golf school business that we have today. He also was around long enough to re-invent himself a couple of times. showing how changing what you are teaching can help your career and extend it. He also held his own in the highlight of all teaching summits, the famous debate with Jimmy Ballard. First class in every way, he will be missed—a lot.

Here's what Jack Nicklaus had to say: "Jim should be remembered as one of the all-time great teachers. He is one of the few who you could say really 'got it.' Jim was someone who understood that the game of golf was played with the golf club and not the body. He was a great teacher, a great man, and a great friend. Barbara and I will miss him a lot."

With reference to Brian's comment: He adapted that is how he survived. I worked Golf Digest Schools for many years, and I can tell you this: John Jacobs had a tremendous influence on Jim. The early schools taught a lot of body until JJ introduced them to ball flight and the use of the club; some of them, like Jim got this. Not all of them.

dbl

New
I doubt it. I did a search and the only thing that seems to come up is a Ballard disciple pushing how pleased JB was at easily deflating the arguments against him, and the fact that his opponents, seemed to him, conceded the "value" of his teachings...as well as the "whole time" was spent on JB's view and not anyone else's.

Last edited:

Brian Manzella

Administrator
I have it, but the PGA owns it and I'm not going to post it up. It is for sale on DVD.

It was the single best 20 minutes or so of all of the summits, because it was LEGITIMATE DEBATE.

In person, maybe because I was more of a fan of Ballard, I remembered Flick getting waxed. Looking at it a couple of years ago, it was very close, probably a slight Ballard victory.

I always thought that Jim could have been President of the USA. Really.

Status
Not open for further replies.