Rip my swing apart

Status
Not open for further replies.
Folks,

Let me first say that I have been trying for the last two years NOT to flip, so for me to see a little flip there still is disappointing. I have all the videos. Is that LFW too rotated? I don't feel like i'm rotating it at all.
Miss is a pull hook. The driver miss is ugly.
Looking forward to feedback!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tUpDL0vvFA4[/media]

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6tPtFXtZNpc[/media]

First let me say the you can probably play some pretty decent golf with that swing. Breaking 80 is probably not a problem.
A few observations:
Grip - from the video, it looks like you have a strong left-hand grip and a stronger right-hand grip. Try experimenting with the Manzella Neutral or the Hogan Grip.
Takeaway - a tad bit inside, but not bad.
Impact - it looks like your hands are even with your pants zipper. They should be even with (or past) your left pants pocket. This may be the reason for your "flip".
Downswing - a bit over-the-top. Think about bringing the club down and not out on the downswing.
Other than that, you can't feel too bad. You get to play in such a beautiful location.

During my lesson with Michael Jacobs he pointed out that my ball position was too far back in my stance. Didn't look that way to me, but golf has a lot of illusions. Explained that this can have bad effects on slotting the club into a flatter position coming into impact.

Camera angles can be deceiving. Ball position is worthy of consideration, as it might allow you to develop greater axis tilt coming into the ball. Could be a reason for hand position at impact comment from previous poster.

First let me say the you can probably play some pretty decent golf with that swing. Breaking 80 is probably not a problem.
A few observations:
Grip - from the video, it looks like you have a strong left-hand grip and a stronger right-hand grip. Try experimenting with the Manzella Neutral or the Hogan Grip.
Takeaway - a tad bit inside, but not bad.
Impact - it looks like your hands are even with your pants zipper. They should be even with (or past) your left pants pocket. This may be the reason for your "flip".
Downswing - a bit over-the-top. Think about bringing the club down and not out on the downswing.
Other than that, you can't feel too bad. You get to play in such a beautiful location.

The text above in red is a symptom not a reason or a cause. My pet peave is pointing something out and not giving any solution. No disrespect to Chip Putterman because I agree with much of his writing.

Everything about this move makes me think you don't want to miss it to the right. Due to the shutter speed i cannot see the face at last parallel, so hard to say. I see that the face is good at the top, but really that says nothing about on the way down.

I agree with Chip Putterman on the out hand path. Very rarely will you keep any angle coming down with an out hand path. your brain will not let you because you would literally miss the ball entirely with model shaft lean.

When the hand path moves too out it causes the shaft to lay back and open the face which would force you to flip and down arch to try to square up. I would fully concentrate on a vertical hand path coming down and forget about squaring the face for now. The steeper hand path should steepen the shaft and square the face more with no need to flip.

You say, "The text above in red is a symptom not a reason or a cause. My pet peave is pointing something out and not giving any solution. "

I would just question why this irritates you.

I have at least two problems with this.

First, defining a problem is important, even if you don't have, or choose not to offer up, a solution. Much of the time people are posting solutions to sketchy descriptions of golf swing problems. Defining problems can be a very difficult task. Furthermore, it is well known technique to use a series of questions to lead the person with the problem down the path to some solutions and along the way do some work to arrive at the answer. Did this all the time with my subordinates. I knew the answer, but didn't want to solve it for them. It is a way to develop problem solving skills in others.

The second problem is that this golf swing analysis thing can be dangerous to the recipient. I can only speak for myself, but the longer I am in this forum, the more convinced I am that what I thought was correct, may not be correct. So I choose my topics carefully.

So I simply disagree with you and would contend that if we made it a rule that
in order to post a response, you had to offer a solution, that would be the end the forum.

Last edited:
Most of the address to backswing is pretty good, if not really good. I think you have some pop-out and if that was taken care of, that would get rid of your OTT move which would also help get rid of the flip a bit. I think you need to work on your pivot and your path to get to the next level. Clubface looks pretty good in that swing.

3JACK

I agree with Chip Putterman on the out hand path. Very rarely will you keep any angle coming down with an out hand path. your brain will not let you because you would literally miss the ball entirely with model shaft lean.

When the hand path moves too out it causes the shaft to lay back and open the face which would force you to flip and down arch to try to square up. I would fully concentrate on a vertical hand path coming down and forget about squaring the face for now. The steeper hand path should steepen the shaft and square the face more with no need to flip.

I think you have some pop-out and if that was taken care of, that would get rid of your OTT move which would also help get rid of the flip a bit.

3JACK
why does coming ott increase the likelihood of a flip?

You say, "The text above in red is a symptom not a reason or a cause. My pet peave is pointing something out and not giving any solution. "

I would just question why this irritates you.

I have at least two problems with this.

First, defining a problem is important, even if you don't have, or choose not to offer up, a solution. Much of the time people are posting solutions to sketchy descriptions of golf swing problems. Defining problems can be a very difficult task. Furthermore, it is well known technique to use a series of questions to lead the person with the problem down the path to some solutions and along the way do some work to arrive at the answer. Did this all the time with my subordinates. I knew the answer, but didn't want to solve it for them. It is a way to develop problem solving skills in others.

The second problem is that this golf swing analysis thing can be dangerous to the recipient. I can only speak for myself, but the longer I am in this forum, the more convinced I am that what I thought was correct, may not be correct. So I choose my topics carefully.

So I simply disagree with you and would contend that if we made it a rule that
in order to post a response, you had to offer a solution, that would be the end the forum.

The reason I had a problem with this particular case is simple. The person asking for help already mentioned that he was aware of this particular problem.

If go see a doctor and say - "my arm is broken, what should I do" and he says to me, "well the bone is broken and it should not be", I am probably going to be irritated.

While I am happy to hear that you have spent time helping your "subordinates" increase their problem solving skills, I feel confident that sharing advice with my "peers" has some merit.

Maybe one day, when I get to management level here at Blockbuster, I will try these advanced teaching techniques (on problem solving) with my "subordinates".

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
Id like to see you try to load some pressure down into that right heel a bit and keep it on the ground a touch longer so you dont unwind so quickly. This could help you get that right shoulder a tad lower as well and get your hands more forward instead of them staying high and sweeping the club to catch up to the rest of your body.

I think you need to let your hips open earlier so you don't get your hands so far in and it looks like a little pivot stall causing the flip, that would be my 2 cents.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
I think you need to let your hips open earlier so you don't get your hands so far in and it looks like a little pivot stall causing the flip, that would be my 2 cents.

You might want to double check those hips, I think they open too early and carry the hands out and then cause a stall.

What you said was, " My pet peave is pointing something out and not giving any solution. " That has nothing to do with whether the original poster defiined his problem. It's sort of a global statement of what irritates you on this golf forum. That's fine.

Anyway enough about it, you are entitled to your opinion, and your peaves.

PS: The word subordinate is not a derogatory term. It's an organization chart term.
Everyone, except the owner of a private company reports to someone. Most, not all, people who
become managers work up from the bottom. WalMart calls everyone Associates so that everyone allegedly feels better. That's just Human Resources PR mumbo jumbo.

Last edited:
You might want to double check those hips, I think they open too early and carry the hands out and then cause a stall.

I am talking on the backswing, the hips don't move until well into the backswing. Wouldn't turning his hips at the start get his hands more in front of him?

I am talking on the backswing, the hips don't move until well into the backswing. Wouldn't turning his hips at the start get his hands more in front of him?

On the downswing you are exactly right... I was just guessing that it looks like a restricted hip turn backswing and if he didn't do that he might not be so out of synch at impact.

What you said was, " My pet peave is pointing something out and not giving any solution. " That has nothing to do with whether the original poster defiined his problem. It's sort of a global statement of what irritates you on this golf forum. That's fine.

Anyway enough about it, you are entitled to your opinion, and your peaves.

PS: The word subordinate is not a derogatory term. It's an organization chart term.
Everyone, except the owner of a private company reports to someone. Most, not all, people who
become managers work up from the bottom. WalMart calls everyone Associates so that everyone allegedly feels better. That's just Human Resources PR mumbo jumbo.
While I am tempted to continue this almost fun banter, I will rest on the fact that we both know enough is enough. I hate hijacking a thread just for arguments sake.

JHodge,

It looks like your right hip is blocking or preventing the left arm wedge from under rotating going back, which I think could help the hand path coming back down into delivery and also make it easier to keep the right heel down longer through delivery into impact.

I would like to see the hands come in slightly with an earlier hip turn (step off the left foot) and get and let the weight go to the whole right foot in the backswing.

It looks like the right hip block then right knee lock look forces the right toe end part of the shoe to come off the ground and then rebound out off the heel too soon coming back into delivery.

The short answer if you came to see me for a lesson...

Take some knee flex out of both knees at address, then you may feel like you could stand closer to the ball, go ahead.

Step off the left foot onto the whole right foot and let the hands come in a little, SDish.

The we see what happens.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.