Rory hits his irons so high

Status
Not open for further replies.
because his AoA is greater than most pros? But he's also a club longer than a lot of the pros, so to get that height and distance he must have a remarkable SS?

Wondering what his impact numbers are like compared to other pros...

I was thinking more down to get that height? I saw his Shot tracer or whatever on the broadcast for his 8 iron, I mean wow, that's high.

I was thinking more down to get that height? I saw his Shot tracer or whatever on the broadcast for his 8 iron, I mean wow, that's high.

By "down" do you mean the ball is hit further back of the bottom of the arc? If so wouldn't this result in a lower ball flight?

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
I thought the farther away (back) from low point at impact, the higher the ball goes because of a more downward strike?

Only if you don't deloft the club face. Remember, generally the further back in the stance the more down yes but also the more you deloft which will effect launch angle but may not necessarily reduce spin loft a ton.

I don't get how he would hit it more down to get it to go that much higher. Everyone knows most tour pros hit their short irons low and their long irons high. They also take divots with the short irons and nip their long irons right off the turf. Coincidence, I think not.

Status
Not open for further replies.