Ryder Cup Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It will be great to hear Brian's opinion on all of this, circumstances allowing

but here's my take:

Tiger not being there might be enough to shake the U.S. out of its slump...

I like all of Azinger's picks except Campbell... would have been better off with Trahan, but I understand the experience aspect of the decision.

I can't wait to see Zinger and Faldo go head to head.

Your thoughts?

Don't underestimate the affect this crowd will have! On paper US has no chance, but this will be one of the greatest sports crowd ever and at least gives US a fighting chance.

no tiger?? no problem

Wanting to go on record as a golf fan..........being from America i would like to see U.S.A. win...........imho................we became a better team without tiger.......ok ok, yes number 1 in the world........consider the number 1.......tiger is number 1 against all other players......but ryder cup is not me against you, its team vs team.......best ball....4 ball..etc etc. Then on the last day its singles.......we need team players...

? how many times have you seen (stevie) tiger caddie.....help tiger line up a putt...................he gives him yardage and an occasional club selection. The U.S team some vets but lots of younger guys....they need each other........On paper the European team should be favored...
they have a great team..................but so do the Americans......kenny perry from ky...................jb holmes from ky...................the crowd??

i went to school in bowling green ky.........60 miles from Louisville

the crowd will make a difference.........anyway it will be fun......and give us something to do "i told you so" withs.

oh btw........you have heard the story about Captain Azinger not being able to break 80 2 days in a row when in high school???

bull-------oney............................i taught at the high school he went to at the time he was there.................that info about 80 is false..................trust me......

good luck to both teams.........

hjack

The media will still make Tiger a distraction this year but not as much as he normally is. If I was Azinger I wouldn't field questions about Tiger...like who would you have paired Tiger with...would a team with Tiger of changed your picks... blah blah blah... I just hope it isn't a blow out either way... I want the singles to mean something and see who steps up...

Ya word.....obviously if you had the choice you'd take him rather than not but Zinger I think needs to make it clear that he has faith in his team, as is. I'm sure he will.

Burner

New
Don't underestimate the affect this crowd will have! On paper US has no chance, but this will be one of the greatest sports crowd ever and at least gives US a fighting chance.

Curious thing. :confused:

One of the better known European Coaches, who has attended many Ryder Cup events in the USA, observed on TV today that the the American public is only ever interested in supporting their players whilst they are actually winning the game they are involved in.

US players who are not winning their games are deserted as the super supportive US public moves off in search of a winner to root for.

No chants of "USA, USA, USA" for the losers who need it to spur them on. Those chants, apparently, are reserved only for the players who are winning . :eek:

Curious thing. :confused:

One of the better known European Coaches, who has attended many Ryder Cup events in the USA, observed on TV today that the the American public is only ever interested in supporting their players whilst they are actually winning the game they are involved in.

US players who are not winning their games are deserted as the super supportive US public moves off in search of a winner to root for.

No chants of "USA, USA, USA" for the losers who need it to spur them on. Those chants, apparently, are reserved only for the players who are winning . :eek:

I think that's more a reflection of the impact of golf in mainstream America, rather than a reflection of American culture itself. Tiger has helped to elevate the profile of golf in America, but it still dosen't rise to the level of football, basketball, or baseball in attracting tons of passionate, die-hard fans. Maybe that's what he's seeing.

I think that's more a reflection of the impact of golf in mainstream America, rather than a reflection of American culture itself. Tiger has helped to elevate the profile of golf in America, but it still dosen't rise to the level of football, basketball, or baseball in attracting tons of passionate, die-hard fans. Maybe that's what he's seeing.
Exactly-go to a browns game to see real fans:)

Ya buddy Campbell was outta the blue in my mind. He hasn't stood out to me at all in a good while. That is to say I don't recall seeing him in the hunt for a good while...never mind winning. Maybe I am wrong. (haven't looked at stats or anything)

I like Woody.......team and crowd fave. who is gonna fight to the death.

Burner

New
Bigwill said:

Exactly-go to a browns game to see real fans:)

Agreed. "Real Sports Fans" cheer for their team/countryman/w.h.y no matter what the state of the game/contest is - winning or losing.

I think that the point the Euro' Coach was making is that this is not the case in the Ryder Cup as far as the American Golfing public is concerned.

Anyone over there experienced this first hand at Ryder Cup events?

Status
Not open for further replies.