Same swing for iron?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am at this stage of improving my swing:

Backswing: mostly right forearm control with right forearm takeaway tracing the plane line, club moving up the club plane

Downswing: concentrating on using the left arm to pull the club down, following the #3 to the aft of the ball, not to use right arm because think this will push the club out

What happen:

Using #3 wood: can see the lag, club coming from the inside, along the club plane and hit the ball, club never goes outside of the hands, quite happy with the progress, BUT

Using the 7 iron: at the first moment down, the club did flattern a little bit but at waist high it goes out the club plane, seems to be hitting from outside (out to in) and in most case, shank the shot or hit behind. Am I not moving my leg (axis tilt) forward enough? on the downswing? Why can't I maintain the hands and club angle longer to avoid the club going out?

Before I change my swing, I can hit the iron good with inside attach, do not understand what happen, since I believe doing the correct movement and hitting the wood pity good.

IMHO, with irons, I like to keep a 60% weight on left leg throughout and just let arms fall from the top into back of ball. I find I can work the ball easily, divots are dead straight, and crisp irons result.
With woods, weight 50:50 but I let my arms fall from top of very full(but not past horizontal) shoulder turn/backswing. Great accuracy and distance.

Get your left hip over your left foot with the shoulders still turned, and then make the left shoulder go up and the right shoulder down.

Joe,

In getting the left hip over the left foot, can you use your right foot to push to the left, apply pressure on the floor, such that the right leg will straighten to the left too? I used to practise that intentionally and it did avoid the right shoulder to come out since I thought this will stop the hip from turning right away in the downswing. But once you stop doing it intentionally and practise the full swing (working on the left arm now), it seems that I am not doing this right leg push anymore. Should this be incorporate into the full swing and more leg work?

Thanks.

Yes, and how much push required depends on the stance width. But in any case, it doesn't take much to get over the left foot. With a fairly narrow stance, you're almost there, IF, you don't move off the ball on the BS. And be aware that many actually DO move off the ball and aren't even aware of it. Check out Couples at http://www.megspace.com/sports/moetown/videos/couples_side_clip.html for a great example of getting the left hip over the left foot.

Status
Not open for further replies.