Sand Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

dbl

New
I'm thinking of renting a practice bunker this week and go in there and work on firming up my technique...maybe find one I can reliably use.

I am planning to try combinations of the following:

Clubface: face open, face closed
Ball Position: ball forward, ball mid stance
Hinge Action: vertical hinge, angled hinge, horizontal hinge.
Power: swing club with left arm, swing club powering it with pivot, right arm hit.
Plane line: swing along feet line, swing along target line

Also...perhaps try a horizontal hinge with fade setup.

So my rotten technique has been to open the face, take grip, ball forward and then to hit behind the ball and use a vertical hinge. I just get the feeling my vertical hinge isn't right for this shot, like maybe an angled hing action with open face might be better. I was in a bunker 2 weeks ago, with the ball on the downslope near a lip and I hit the ball too low because it lodged in the lip on the other side by the flag. So certainly I'll be trying to find out what will get the ball HIGH from that downslope situation.

Anyone care to give any hints before I get in?

dbl

New
Nope. But what I recall was that he advocated for a bread and butter "out" shot involved was a square leading edge. Correct?

When you are up against the front lip and need to get the ball up quickly but not hit it too far, choke right down on the grip (right hand on the metal of the clubshaft).. Cock wrists early..lots of wrist through the shot..

Picture the radius from wrist to clubhead and you'll see how this works..

Jim Kobylinski

Super Moderator
Over and out covers 3 variations of sand shots as well as how you can experiment with others, not just the "bread and butter." Brian shows more advanced techniques as well.

There should be a paypal link somewhere on this site to get it. I'd just do a search for it. I'm at work right now so don't really have time.

Status
Not open for further replies.