Sand shots

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can get out without a problem, just not with much accuracy such that it almost always costs a stroke. For those of you who are proficient out of the sand I have a couple of questions.

Do you keep the same stoke setup taking roughly the same amount of sand, generally, and vary swing speed to vary the distance? Or, do you adjust the amount of sand and keep the swing speed constant?

Also, how often do you use your lob wedge in the sand?

Thanks, Cliff

I do a lot of varying things depending on the shot. If I have to hit a very short shot, I'll widen my stance a bit, open the face more, and take more sand.

If I have a pretty long shot, I'll take less sand with a more square club and swing lighter.

3JACK

You will get responses here from far better players than me, but I am pretty good out of the sand. If the sand is the same, I adjust my swing speed, ( although, that just seems to happen naturally, I don't really think about it? ) keeping the amount of sand a constant. I almost always use my lob wedge in the sand. The general key to sand play for me, is low hands. Maybe not optimum, but it works pretty well for me...

Are the bunker "misses" more of a distance issue or direction?

I do a lot of varying things depending on the shot. If I have to hit a very short shot, I'll widen my stance a bit, open the face more, and take more sand.

If I have a pretty long shot, I'll take less sand with a more square club and swing lighter.

3JACK

Agree 100% Ritchie - there are a lot of variables for sure!

I can get out without a problem, just not with much accuracy such that it almost always costs a stroke. For those of you who are proficient out of the sand I have a couple of questions.

Do you keep the same stoke setup taking roughly the same amount of sand, generally, and vary swing speed to vary the distance? Or, do you adjust the amount of sand and keep the swing speed constant?

Also, how often do you use your lob wedge in the sand?

Thanks, Cliff

I do a little of both (vary swing speed/length of swing and amount of sand) and will use different clubs. 64* for short stuff down to 8-9 iron for longer shots where I can run it. Nothing more fun than hitting a chunk and run with an 8 iron and holing out which I did last weekend :cool:

Thanks for the replies.

Are the bunker "misses" more of a distance issue or direction?

Bigball: More distance. I have a natural landing zone that's about 12 to 20 feet. Trying to extend that for pins across the green is the goal.

Also, a pro on the Nationwide told me he always uses his lob in the sand, suggesting I do the same. That is why I inquired about that club. Can you explain why you favorite it over the SW? Even for the long, cross green, shots? I will use the LW for real short sand shot's, but that's not to frequent.

This does not answer your question directly but it has a bearing. I was fortunate to get bunker lessons from a phenomenal bunker player named Tony Johnstone (from Zimbabawe, played in Europe for years.) Apparently he picked Gary Player's brain etc. He told me that the key to controlling the distance was to have some say over the "depth of cut" into the sand as well as when you start taking sand. He told me (no kidding) that hitting a bunker shot with an open face was "bullshit" The reason why people think that the face should be opened is that by laying the face back (basically a vertical shaft) the face tends to aim left, so in order to "square up" the face appears to be opened. Making sense? The cog is soo far back on a sw, or a lw that even with a vertical shaft there is still a bit of shaft lean to be had. It has been 15 years since that eye-opening bunker lesson. I have second guessed every part of my game since then EXCEPT my bunker play. Watching the odd major/tour event in person leads me to believe this is what tour players do around the greens not just out of the bunkers i.e. effective use of bounce with aggressive swing speeds and plenty of "lay-back."

Brian supposed to be excellent sand player. Over And Out video.

I just put weight forward pretty well all the time, hit behind it some (rough/"felt" amount based on sand, shot), then swing speed, club selection for distance ctrl.

I am decent. (my sand game is pretty basic)

Gary Player comes to mind as one to read up on. And Brian M Manzella. (he's likely done threads too??)

Last edited:
For sure. I don't use his technique to be honest. Didn't realise it was you btw Liftoff. Tougher to browse on my cellphone. (can't see the sidebar names so easily)

Brian your video was a while back. You were a good sand player then, but do you play or teach sand shots much different now?

Last edited:
I do a little of both (vary swing speed/length of swing and amount of sand) and will use different clubs. 64* for short stuff down to 8-9 iron for longer shots where I can run it. Nothing more fun than hitting a chunk and run with an 8 iron and to holing out which I did last weekend :cool:

Pretty much the same MO for me too. I'll use anything from 64* to 8 iron for green side bunkers. Probably use 64 the most as I love me some short-side. I am amazed at how many people never consider using clubs that don't have "wedge" in their name.

Status
Not open for further replies.