Scotland and Ireland - Just Got Back

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just got back from a trip to Scotland and Ireland; went as a Single, played 9 courses in 9 days and had a blast. The highlight? Playing the Old Course 2 days in a row. Went off in 2nd group the 1st day (6:40am) and 8th group the 2nd day (7:30am). Two great caddies, Phil and Willie.

Courses in Ireland - Ardglass, Ballyliffin (Old Links), Cruit Island, Narin & Portnoo, Donegal (Murvagh), Carne and Enniscrone. I truly enjoyed Ballyliffin (even with raw temps and wind) and Carne (even more raw temps, rain and wind). The views were spectacular... #6 at Cruit Island, #16 at Carne, #15 and #16 at Narin & Portnoo, #13 at Ardglass, etc.

I have a blog - The Good Bad Golfer (The Good Bad Golfer) of my trip. Bear with me as I update soon since there was no Internet access the last 4 days of my trip.

Day 1 on Swilcan Bridge
www.southwyckadvisors.com/images/golf_trip/img_0244_small.jpg

Day 2 on Swilcan Bridge
www.southwyckadvisors.com/images/golf_trip/img_0253_small.jpg

Nourishment in St. Andrews
www.southwyckadvisors.com/images/golf_trip/img_0251_small.jpg

Last edited:
Love the course at Portnoo, it is incredibly enjoyable - great town as well. Seven is a great hole, and the drive par 5 along the beach on the back nine is so tough. Love that short par 4 into the green that is surround by atlantic on three sides as well!

What did you get on the IMPOSSIBLE par three at Murvagh?

hi kglenncole im from co donegal ballyliffen is 10 mile down the road from me. 2 nice courses there. narin portnoo is a hidden gem. it is a shame you missed out on rosapenna sandyhills, it is possibly the toughest links course in the world , a rollercoaster from start to finish, stunning golfcourse if you ever come back over i would highly recommend it. portsalon is another hidden gem in co donegal. i actually was a caddie at st andrews for 5 yrs the willie you are talking about wouldnt be wille steward a small man with a moustache a man of few words, if it is the same willie you got a great caddie, he knows that course like the back of his hand, he is also an absolute gentleman.

Last edited:
hi kglenncole im from co donegal ballyliffen is 10 mile down the road from me. 2 nice courses there. narin portnoo is a hidden gem. it is a shame you missed out on rosapenna sandyhills, it is possibly the toughest links course in the world , a rollercoaster from start to finish, stunning golfcourse if you ever come back over i would highly recommend it. portsalon is another hidden gem in co donegal. i actually was a caddie at st andrews for 5 yrs the willie you are talking about wouldnt be wille steward a small man with a moustache a man of few words, if it is the same willie you got a great caddie, he knows that course like the back of his hand, he is also an absolute gentleman.

That was the problem.. way too many good courses and way too little time. I'd love to go back. Next year? Bucket List Part Deux?

Willie said he'd been a caddie for 23 years. Here's a photo of Willie.. http://www.southwyckadvisors.com/images/golf_trip/img_0254_small.jpg. Same?

Just awesome. My bucket list includes that Swilcan Bridge picture and getting to see an Open championship in person at The Old Course. I don't know you but I am instantly jealous ;)

What resources did you use to plan your trip/figure out which courses to visit?

yeah we are spoilt for choice here in the north of ireland, im glad you enjoyed your time here. if only we could do something about the weather haha. yeah thats willie, he is a character, one of lifes true gentlemen.

Last edited:
Just awesome. My bucket list includes that Swilcan Bridge picture and getting to see an Open championship in person at The Old Course. I don't know you but I am instantly jealous ;)

What resources did you use to plan your trip/figure out which courses to visit?

I had one requirement - courses must be ocean-side links. No Parklands-type courses. I used a combination of Websites, mostly Discover Ireland (Information on planning golfing holidays and breaks - Golf Ireland) North and West Coast Links (Golf Vacations & Travel Ireland, Golf Vacations & Golf Tours Ireland, Golf Packages Ireland) and Golf UK and Ireland (Golf UK and Ireland : UK and Irish golf clubs). I also used Hidden Links (Hidden Links: Golf Scotland, England, Ireland, Wales).

I pretty much zeroed-in on Northwest Ireland because there were a number of courses close and more chance of meeting and playing with locals. I did not use any travel services. For a few of the courses, I used their on-line booking system, especially when I got closer and knew my schedule better. Some I booked times just a day or so before. Others I just showed up. The neat thing about many of the courses is that you can just go out early and settle-up when you finish. It gets light at 5ish or so and most of the Pro Shops don't open until 8:00/8:30/9:00.

The hardest part was determining where to stay. Made sure I had reservations before I left US. I was lucky with all my lodging except for the B&B in Ardara (Braehouse).

Last edited:
I am planning a golf/olmpic trip next summer. A few days in London for the games, then explore England and Ireland. I would love to hear opinions on a top ten links list for both countries?

@KGlennCole, thanks for sharing the pics. Looks like you had a wonderful trip.

Whatever you do, follow KGlennCole's plan of playing only seaside courses. You can play all the parklands you want over here.
Lahinch, Ballybunion, Waterville, Old Head, Portmarnock, Royal Dublin, Galway Bay, Trallee...goes on and on. Nicest people on
the planet too, the Irish.

TLS

New
Echo your comments...In June flew to Shannon. Played Waterville, Selig Bay (new), Lahinch (twice), Tralee and Killarney (Killeen) and Ballybunion. No rain for nine days! Irish people very nice. Guinness and Smithwick very, very nice.

Baltray, Portmarnock Hotel Links (Langer design beside old course), Glen of the Downs, Headfort new are all superb.

The latter two are Heath and parkland but have Irish character - easily as good as most links tracks IMO.

The Dublin city links (Royal Dublin, Portmarnock old) and the big ones in West and South are crazy prices. North has best value.

Status
Not open for further replies.