SD question re:rolling the club face open and hitting pulls

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm having some great results with softdraw. I'm starting to think this might be the best pattern for me but I'm having a couple of issues. Why do I tend to roll the face open on the back swing and how do I stop doing this?

Also, I've been hitting some pulls while working on SD. Not pull hooks but pulls that go lower than my normal ball flight and mostly straight with maybe a little bit of draw on it. What would be causing this shot?

Hands in, clubhead out on takeaway. Steep left shoulder, it moves down. I tend to pull as well. Brian taught me to twistaway in the downswing which has cured my pulls for the most part.

To stop rolling the face open on backswing, the right elbow should be higher than the left elbow as the backswing progresses. Also, Brian mentions the elbow pit should be pointing up and not towards the body.

I'm not keeping the right elbow higher than the left. Thanks EdStraker.

rogerdoger - I'm not doubting you but how does twist away on the down swing help eliminate pulls? How much twist away are are you adding?

For me, I lay the club off in transition, opening the face. I then roundhouse the shoulders which gives me a pull. I can square the clubface with a lot of effort by impact which ends up with a pull or pull hook. The twistaway on downswing seems to keep face from opening so it is easier for me to swing to 1 oclock to get that nice sd draw. Brian told me to do it, it works so I will stick with it. Not sure of a technical explanation. Essentially I think the focus on the clubface is important for players who have tried to square the face with pivot. ie my mind senses at transition the club is severely open, then it is a race to close everything, my mind tells the stronger parts of the body to get involved and it goes downhill from there. I know if my clubface is square thru the swing, I do not pull the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.