Segio Garcia now with Stan Utley

Status
Not open for further replies.
Listening to pgatour radio, appears for the last week Sergio is under the wing of Stan to work out his putting kinks. For anyone struggling with putting and interested in something besides straight back and thru, this might be an interesting deveopment. Hope he has the patients to stick with it for the long haul, one week results is unrealistic. As always, there are great articles you can search by Damon, Brian, puttmad and many others.

Currently I use a cleveland wedge shipping box and bent it to a triangular shape roughly 71 degree lie like my putter and been using that as a starting point. The heel of the putter brushes up against it and results have been good. Having that static guide lets you work on ball position and eye position. Can't wait for the season to start!

<no sergio bashing please>;)

Last edited:
Not a big fan of his attitude at times but hey, the guy's competitive and wants to win so take it fwiw.

OTOH, I'm a big fan of his ballstriking and can't wait for him to get it going with the putter and start taking down some majors.

Good luck 'el toro.

Jared Willerson

Super Moderator
I think Utley may help him. He just needs confidence more than anything, just look at the Ryder Cup, he pours it in from everywhere during that week.

SG & SU

This will be interesting and would be a large feather in Utley's cap should SG suddenly start putting like a world class player. It seems like forever since he putted with any confidence. The belly putter seemed to help, but the fact that he's moved away from it tells me the results were short-lived.

Personally I don't think this is going to be the solution to Sergio's woes on the greens. I made a concerted effort at trying Utley's approach last year with awful results. Granted I could only use his books, magazine articles, and his website for guidance, but I'm pretty sure I understood what he wants you to do with your putting stroke. To me there's a lot of independent motion going on with the hands/arms/shoulders that was tough to master and get real comfortable with. The fact that SG "seemed" to get some really good results with the belly putter (which takes a lot of reliance on the arms and hands out of the stroke) makes me think this experiment will yield poor results. Just my opinion, but it'll be fun to see where it goes.

I practiced this arc putting down in the basement with ok results. Can never tell how it holds up on green speeds (fast or slow) or pressure. The snow will not leave early this year. Oh well.

Good only one SG smack, no hes not classless. Do not believe the media, they are brain washers.........kidding. Nite all!

Orsino32- thanks for the reply. Just saw it on GC PRIMETIME. But couldnt make it out. Think he still has the super stroke on his putter. Anyone ever like that aid?

JRJ

New
grip

Don't think Stan will support the use of the fat grip. Fat grip takes all the feel out of your hands in the putting stroke. IMHO, Sergio needs to let more natural ability/feel in not out.

SG putting seems more and more like Shaqile free throws,
I think only his full will to learn plus coach like Geoff Mangum or Damon Lucas could help him. Peltz on one side and Utley on the other are to artificial (not natural) ...IMO

Apparently he was a good putter when he was younger.

I wonder what has changed.

Certainly it is something.

Mental and/or mechanical.

Anyhoo...

If this deal doesn't work out for him maybe he can just keep spitting in the cup to level the playing field.

Cup Loogies:

Putt-Making Deterrant For Competition.

dbl

New
Golf World has more info on SG and Utley - it's been about 3 weeks. At Bayhill he was using a short putter. Missed 2 significant short ones, including one at the 71st. Will have to stick with it. Utley says the stroke for SG is like the one he (SG) had in his youth; SG says Utley is the kind of person he wants to follow and so plans to stick by him.

Birdie man, good point, he was a great putter when he first turned pro. Think he putted more on insticnt. Past few years hes tried to guide it to the hole. Hes speed has been poor too. Speed is #1 and easy to forget when comes to putting, I sure forget about it. Hope it turns for the best for him. My favorite comeback story is Steve Stricker, fellow northerner who found a swing that works for him!

Status
Not open for further replies.