Senior golfer and TGM

Status
Not open for further replies.
Brian,

Being a newbie to this forum, please forgive me if this question has been asked before. Can TGM help a senior golfer who has lost some flexabilty and as a result considerable distance over the last 20+ years regain some of the distance while retaining some degree of accuracy?
Reason for asking is that I have just become interested in TGM and it seems to me that the hitting technique requires much less flexability than does the traditional method of swinging the club. Is this a wrong preception?

TIA
--
Doyce

If your loss of distance is due to loss of flexibility then TGM will probably not help much.

One thing TGM instruction can do for any golfer, age not withstanding, is improve and correct your technique. This in itself will support distance, accuracy, and enjoyment.

One this and several other sites, you will find golfers who have discovered a new body, both from exercise tips/drills and solid golf instruction.

I should add if you have strength that you have not tapped or harnessed, them by all means seek out some instruction on hitting that is based on TGM. Solid contact, the mash, correct alignments, can make a ball go farther and more accurate.

Yes, this is true. If you are a swinger, you take the club back longer and have to "crank" it with your pivot. If you are a hitter, you have a much less aggressive pivot and a more smooth, consistant acceleration. You just need to have right arm strenth to drive out with.

Also, flexability is overrated. Look at the Senior Tour. Several of those guy have "homebuilt" swings and don't take the club back very far. The really thrust into the shaft and hit the ball far.

Thanks mgjordan & Martee for the replies.

For a 62yr old, I am in the best physical shape since I was in my 40's due to the therapy from hip replacement surgery. That said, I am a swinger and my major source of power in the swing was my leg drive. However, due to the hip surgery, I no longer have the flexibility to "crank" it using my legs as before. Therefore, what intrigued me about using the TGM hitting technique is using an alternate power source, ie shoulder and arm, to drive though the ball and less lower body action. Am I correct in this assumption?

Thanks again,
--
Doyce

quote:Originally posted by brianman

Welcome Magic!

All you need is mash!
Thanks Brian,

Am enjoying persusing the articles and comments of forum members very much. Good discussions and good instruction.
That being said, I am not familar with some of the TGM terminology,ie,"
All you need is mash". If you are refering to "sourmash", then I understand perfectly. Been there, done that!:D If not, could you please explain the term "mash" and the way it could be the solution to my problem.

Thanks very much,
--
Doyce

are you a slicer or hooker?
Before the surgery, a nice high fade. After, slicer. Could this be due to not being able to clear the hips fast enough?
TIA
-
Doyce

EdZ

New
quote:Originally posted by Martee

If your loss of distance is due to loss of flexibility then TGM will probably not help much.

One thing TGM instruction can do for any golfer, age not withstanding, is improve and correct your technique. This in itself will support distance, accuracy, and enjoyment.

One this and several other sites, you will find golfers who have discovered a new body, both from exercise tips/drills and solid golf instruction.

I should add if you have strength that you have not tapped or harnessed, them by all means seek out some instruction on hitting that is based on TGM. Solid contact, the mash, correct alignments, can make a ball go farther and more accurate.

Absolutely. Learn solid contact and you will be amazed at how little effort is involved in sending the ball quite a long way. Reminds me of playing with a guy named 'Petey' back in SF. He was a top notch player, beat Floyd in his prime, but he had a stroke (I'm guessing he was around 75) and this really limited his motion. The guy could still flat out play, and could still drive it 240+ with a swing that looked like he was just taking a half swing/arms only motion. The reason - solid contact. Very solid. I learned a lot watching him. I think I shot a 73 or 74 that day and he was right there with me, certainly he still broke 80, what a short game! A round I won't forget.

quote:Originally posted by magic43

Welcome Magic!

All you need is mash!
Thanks Brian,

Am enjoying persusing the articles and comments of forum members very much. Good discussions and good instruction.
That being said, I am not familar with some of the TGM terminology,ie,"
All you need is mash". If you are refering to "sourmash", then I understand perfectly. Been there, done that!:D If not, could you please explain the term "mash" and the way it could be the solution to my problem.

Thanks very much,
--
Doyce

Mash = compression

Sustaining the lag through impact to seperation...and some people, beyond that.

Thanks everyone for the good info and tips. I really appreciate all who replied.

For the past 40+ years I have been using a swing based on a very long and very wide arc using my hips and legs to generate the power and accuracy necessary to support the swing. Due to the hip replacement, I no longer have the flexability or leg strength to sustain that type of swing with any consistancy. Hence my interest in the hitting technique of TGM.

I realize that I have to change from using a swing based on the lower body to one using the arms, hands, and shoulders to generate any kind of power(mash)in the swing. I know that making this sort of swing change will not be an easy one.

I will purchase a copy on Mr. Kelley's book and will begin to study it's concepts. If all goes well, perhaps I can seek some lesson's from a TGM AI this summer. I believe that there is one or more in the Dallas area which is only a couple hours drive from where I live. In the meantime, please forgive this old fool if I ask stupid questions in this forum seeking clarification or guidance.

Brian, you have got a very good forum going here with some very knowledgeable members. You also have a way of communicating in such a clear and concise manner that really simplifies the sometimes very complex swing concepts. The articles that I have read here have been outstanding. Keep up the good work!

Once again, thanks to all,
--
Doyce

Read this Magic...and report back!

http://www.manzellagolfforum.com/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=222
Brian,
I took your advice and read the above article. I hope yu don't mind, I also printed it out and took in to the range this A.M. with me.

I spent about a half hour just dry swinging a 5 iron and incorporating the bend and twist motion into the backswing. At first, I hit a few balls teed up and was delighted with the results as the ball flew straight toward the target with no sign of a movement from left to right. I hit a few more off the ground and again most went straight at the target.

All in all, I estimate that approximately 75% flew straight to the target with much more solid contact. Most of the ones that didn't resulted in a dead pull to the left from a over the top swing. My bad.:(

It is really amazing that just a simple move as correctly bending the right wrist and rotating the the left forearm in the backswing can make such a drastic difference in striking the ball. I now know what Ben Hogan meant by waggling correctly. I have incorporated the right wrist move into my waggle and am using that to start the backswing.

Brian, thank you ever so much for the help. As I said in previous post, you have a way of turning the complex into a simple solution. You, sir, are a very gifted teacher that cuts through the BS to get to the root cause of a problem. I am indebted to you.

After a couple more trips to the range to fully commit the move to muscle memory, I'll start working on the lag move to be able to generate more mash at impact.

Again, thanks ever so much,
--
Doyce

Mathew

Banned
quote:Originally posted by magic43

Brian,

Being a newbie to this forum, please forgive me if this question has been asked before. Can TGM help a senior golfer who has lost some flexabilty and as a result considerable distance over the last 20+ years regain some of the distance while retaining some degree of accuracy?
Reason for asking is that I have just become interested in TGM and it seems to me that the hitting technique requires much less flexability than does the traditional method of swinging the club. Is this a wrong preception?

TIA
--
Doyce

What you really need to ask is can you get 'your' maximum distance....for YOU and it can...

The golf stroke is not a contortionists trick like the pop teachers of today believe. My stroke is so much more precise than it used to be and I'm about 30 yards further (and I was already pretty long) with a higher boring trajectory and it takes alot less</u> flexability to perform than my pre TGM stroke. The ball feels like I'm hitting stone....whack ! ! !

Its a good feeling !

Thanks Magic....made my day!
Hey, no worries OH GREAT SWAMMI of COACHES!:D

It is I, that is indebted to you for your help and understanding.
I will, in all probability, post again in the near future seeking your sage council. So, when this old fool ask some stupid questions, PLEASE be gentle as I am very fragile.;)

Thanks again to everyone for their comments, advice, and suggestions. They are always welcome. The Quest has just begun, so be prepared. LOL!
--
Doyce

Status
Not open for further replies.