Sequencing & The Shoulders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I really liked Sergio's article with Brians commentary in the Golf magazine article. Interesting how Sergio feels like the shoulders are the last to go and he keeps them level. Impossible to tug with that move. Anyone else been working on keeping shoulders up while moving club down?

ej20

New
I can understand why this helps a lot of players but it's probably not for everyone.Not everyone has the arm and hand strength to swing the club down without maximum pivot participation.I tried the "drop the arms forcibly with a quiet pivot" approach but never got comfortable doing it.I prefer starting the downswing "feeling" like everything moves together and at the same speed.

Sergio does indeed keep a high right shoulder quite late into his downswing but keep in mind this is not a common trait amongst tour pros.It is actually a common trait amongst high handicap OTT slicers.The difference is that Sergio drops his hands vertically down while the slicer moves the hands and high right shoulder towards the ball.

A lot of people compare Sergio to Hogan but the only thing they have in common is extreme lag.Hogan drops his right shoulder a lot more than Sergio to start the downswing.

I've always had trouble with the sequencing drill where you take the club to the top pause for a few seconds and fire. Normally hozel shots to right field. But by keeping the shoulders turning on a level plane and letting the arms drop then let the hands follow a circular hand path I can flush it every time, same with right arm only swings. I've played around with Michael Jacob's rear shoulder video, but needed that Sergio article to put it together.

Status
Not open for further replies.