Sergio - What He Needs - "Everything"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Not sure that I've seen anyone handle dissapointment more poorly than Sergio. With an additude like that, he doesn't DESERVE to win a major.

I have watched Sergio for many years.

The fact he failed to win when leaping about and showing enthusiasm the first time he contended in a major was a disaster for him.

I think he fell into an idea that playing a normal game (acting low key, like Goosen) would be good enough. I have never seen anyone win a major doing this - you have to access your very best game, no matter who you are.

The closest Sergio came was the Open at Carnoustie, where he played fantastic golf but got pipped by Harrington. By the way, as he said himself, no-one has won more Majors than Harrington in the last five years.
Have you ever seen Sergio with the intensity in his eyes that Harrington gets? He putts the ball "hoping" it will go in.

He looks like a guy who has looked at too many Stats to the extent that he doesn't think you have to try.

I actually hated to see Rory hugging Sergio on the 12th - I hope it isn't contagious.

Finally, I don't think he concentrates hard enough on reading putts - and that this is the root of his putting issue.

PS - yes, I'm an armchair expert!

ZAP

New
Not sure that I've seen anyone handle dissapointment more poorly than Sergio. With an additude like that, he doesn't DESERVE to win a major.

Not really a Sergio fan but I think DESERVE is a strong word to use in this instance. But your first statement is what I agree with. Winners do not complain. They win.

Kevin Shields

Super Moderator
If he wouldve won one early he'd have five by now. For me it's as simple as that. The longer you go without one the harder it gets.

He might just not care enough to put the time needed into winning one. Do you know how difficult it would be to focus the majority of your time on golf when you are 32 years old and have probably made close to $50M???? Comes down to how bad do you want it.

PS This dude is single and drives around in kick arse sports cars.......who needs a "silly" trophy. :)

Perhaps the first casualty of the "Tiger-Big-Money" era? Seems to have zero drive to dominate as if the comfortable lifestyle he was able to reap as a result of Tiger coming out just ahead of him simply snuffed out any real desire to WIN. He's become the most complacent best-player-without-a-major in the history of golf.

What a shame, but how can anyone observe him after a round and think he has what it takes to win a major?

Money - the root of all evil.

Sergio has the best majors record of anyone without a win... anyone. 17 top 10's with 9 of those being top 5's. By comparison, Westwood has 13 top 10's, Monty had 10, Donald has 6, and Kuchar has 3. And Sergio is younger than all of 'em.

IMO, he's simply doing what Mickelson did in the early 2000's... a bit of sandbagging with some of the redundant questions he gets during every presser.

I always supported Sergio but it always hurt watching him putt as I knew there was a good chance he'll be missing that 3 footer.
I was actually quite surprised when I looked at his stats at Sergio Garcia Stats - PGATOUR.com

He is 14th in strokes gained -putting. His putting has dramatically improved it seems. Judging by the stats what's not working for him is the short game. His scrambling is just over 54% combine that with a relative poor GIR rate of 65% and you can see that he is getting far too many bogeys.

Perhaps the first casualty of the "Tiger-Big-Money" era? Seems to have zero drive to dominate as if the comfortable lifestyle he was able to reap as a result of Tiger coming out just ahead of him simply snuffed out any real desire to WIN. He's become the most complacent best-player-without-a-major in the history of golf.

What a shame, but how can anyone observe him after a round and think he has what it takes to win a major?

Money - the root of all evil.

Actually........"The love of money is the root of all evil" - there's a subtle difference!

Status
Not open for further replies.