(Sergio's Secret) The Pull Back, Run Up & Jump - Golf Magazine April '15 Cover Story

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I did the research for this article, the OUT was the thing that surprised me the most. It is really important.

Brian, in the past, whenever I tried to get my left shoulder lower I was trying to get it "in" as well which is probably why I always reverted to a more level turn because trying to get the left shoulder lower and in resulted in all kinds of horrific shots.

Brian Manzella

Administrator
The "out" is a huge part of the movement of the golf swing. 5 inch on the backswing, 1 inch more in the run up. NOW! you have something to pull in.

Great stuff here Brian.

It's a wonder to me why many teachers veered away from this kind of BS and the weight transfer from L to R foot in BS, then back to L foot in DS. I think this is the best way to get into the "slot" and generate combo of greatest possible energy and accuracy.

Re transition, for someone looking for more distance/power and enough flexibility, would turning the hips to create more torque between the torso and lower body work?

Brian,
This is really great stuff. No more smothered snap hooks,pulls, and 2 way misses since I ditched the rotary swing, handle pulling stuff....

I do have a question, While my irons are now long and high, w/ a slight cut, what is the best way to hit more of a knock down, "wind cheater" shot? Wasn't sure if it was just ball placement or a different set up?

Thanks, again for the article VERY helpful...

Brian,

Re "pull back" on BS, is the term "pull" consciously used for a reason, I mean should this be distinguished from the term "push" back? Pull back=pull by R arm? Push back=push by L shoulder? Or should I not distinguish?

The "out" is a huge part of the movement of the golf swing. 5 inch on the backswing, 1 inch more in the run up. NOW! you have something to pull in.

I would love to see the shoulder move out and down demonstrated if possible. I just don't get it by reading the article, but I know it's important.

I would love to see the shoulder move out and down demonstrated if possible. I just don't get it by reading the article, but I know it's important.
Doesn't it just mean that from the L shoulder position on top, L shoulder would go lower (the down) and move closer (the out) to the target line? The forward is nearer the target?

Doesn't it just mean that from the L shoulder position on top, L shoulder would go lower (the down) and move closer (the out) to the target line? The forward is nearer the target?

But what makes it do that? The squat? It's own independent motion. For my swing, I need to be sure because I struggle with to much body.

But what makes it do that? The squat? It's own independent motion. For my swing, I need to be sure because I struggle with to much body.
My interpretation of the article is that you continue the pull back that you started doing in BS while you push off with CW twist of the R foot. The result is you automatically transfer weight to L foot and L shoulder automatically moves down, out and through/past the L shoulder address location. Hope I'm right. Hope Brian confirms or clarifies this.

Yeah I'm curious about this as well. What keeps people from doing enough out? Too much back extension? Seems like more down would mean less out by default. (Flatter shoulder turn would push the shoulder more out all things being equal).

Looking,
My take on the shoulder move is that Brian is just talking about the left shoulder (for a righty) and not both shoulders. It's the essence of a "closed counter fall"
where instead of moving the left shoulder back (away from the target line) you try to move it down and toward the target line, Basically saving the opening of the body until much later....

When I delay the opening of my left shoulder in my downswing I make good contact and compress the ball . Is this move somewhat like the move Brian is showing in the thread?

How do I ingrain this delayed move of my left shoulder into my swing so I do it automatic?

When I delay the opening of my left shoulder in my downswing I make good contact and compress the ball . Is this move somewhat like the move Brian is showing in the thread?

How do I ingrain this delayed move of my left shoulder into my swing so I do it automatic?

Found a drill of Brian's in some Callaway Teaching Summit videos on YouTube. He was giving people a "bear hug" when they reached the top of their backswing, standing at 90 degrees on the target side with his arms obviously under the person's arms. It makes the "subject" separate their arms from their torso and this keeps the left shoulder down I find.

Brian Manzella

Administrator

Nothing is automatic except death, taxes and propaganda....:D

Now, "delay the opening"....if your left shoulder socket moves 1 inch down and 1 inch out and 5 inches forward in the "run up".....it would REALLY tough to open it.

Found a drill of Brian's in some Callaway Teaching Summit videos on YouTube. He was giving people a "bear hug" when they reached the top of their backswing, standing at 90 degrees on the target side with his arms obviously under the person's arms. It makes the "subject" separate their arms from their torso and this keeps the left shoulder down I find.

This reminds me of Jimmy Ballard and his "spring the shaft" in the down swing which I never understood.

ZAP

New
When I do this is seems to take half an hour to get from the top to the ball. But the results are really good as long as I am patient.

Status
Not open for further replies.