Setting up with a crazy open stance...

Status
Not open for further replies.
and just lining up the face with my target line...I was crushing it. Weird thing is that it felt natural to be this open and I could really go after it as hard as I wanted. Do I have old man hips that need to be "pre-turned" open at impact(i am 39)? I guess it worked for Trevino eh? Thoughts?

What a feeling...felt like I could go 110% at the ball with no worries. High and straight. Maybe I have old man hips or something.

That a square stance is optimal is a myth, maybe even a bad joke perpetrated on the unsuspecting golfing public by DFs who didn't know any better.

Erik_K

New
There are some great players who played with an open stance - Trevino and Couples, I believe, lined up open. You can indeed play well with an open stance. I think it promotes a nice turn through the ball. Some teachers even advocate an open stance to help cure an OTT move since you need to learn to hit the inside of the ball (or at least find an inside path) with an open stance. It actually takes a lot of effort to avoid going super left.

I have given thought to just playing with a fade and using an open stance. For some reason I feel like I can just swing hard and stay balanced. I can go after it aggressively. But I haven't messed around much with this approach in a while.

Erik

For me it "feels" like I am setting up with square to the target line shoulders and a 45 degree open stance. My shoulders are still probably still a bit open and my feet probably aren't as open. I am not sure. But wow does it ever feel powerful and natural. Once I take it back it feels like swing is finished and I can just pour it on. All subjective feels here but it's all I have for now.

But wow does it ever feel powerful and natural. Once I take it back it feels like swing is finished and I can just pour it on.

I set up slightly closed with all my irons for this very reason. I don't have to think about anything but swinging hard at it and the results are powerful, repetitive, 1-3 yard draws time after time. Don't change what is working for the sake of change. Hitting shots at your target is NOT crazy, sounds to me like you are open 'just enough' not crazy open.

Interesting discussion. I recall that Johnny Miller has said that when he was warming up for the last round of the US Open the year he shot 63, he opened his stance "way up".

Been having great luck for the last 18 months with an open stance ..!

I hit lots of straight balls and think it might be how I compensate for poor right arm / right wrist release action.

Naturally, the driver is the toughest to be consistent with!

But I'm 65 and tend to hit-at more than swing thru the ball.

I learned to play later in life; maybe it's an old guy thing...

Best.......

Status
Not open for further replies.